Options

Another shot for critique

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited September 27, 2012 in People
Here is another shot from the other night. I personally love this shot but was curious to see what y'all think about it. Did I nail the pose and lighting?

DSC2953-Edit-X2.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited September 26, 2012
    Looks good to me! Just one thing...the right side of her face is a little hot.
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2012
    Thanks for the feedback Jeff. When you say hot, do you mean blown out?

I ask because the histogram shows no blown highlights and I can see really good detail on the skin on my end. Maybe you mean it's hot in the sense that it's a bit bright for your taste. headscratch.gif

I do tend to lean towards the brighter side for my exposures. I guess it's not for everyone. :cry

My Smug Site
  • Options
    TontoTonto Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    Hi Alex, I hate to say it but the pose really bugs me, with her elbow cut off it creates an optical illusion that suggests her right hand is in the shot even though logically you know that she has her left hand there, otherwise it is a lovely shot.

sorry

Ira
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    Thanks for the feedback Jeff. When you say hot, do you mean blown out?

I ask because the histogram shows no blown highlights and I can see really good detail on the skin on my end. Maybe you mean it's hot in the sense that it's a bit bright for your taste. headscratch.gif

I do tend to lean towards the brighter side for my exposures. I guess it's not for everyone. :cry

I do see some detail near her right eye, but that area, to me, takes away from the rest of the shot. It looks a little blown out. Not to say its a bad shot...it's just a small distraction. I just got this iPad...maybe I'm not used to the monitor.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    Gorgeous expression, but I find the arm placement on this one not quite convincing; like Tonto, to me it was an optical illusion, although at first glance it looked like somebody else's hand/arm rather than her own.

YOu've sure nailed this style, though - so glad you enjoyed the SB as much as I did! I watched half of it going out live but have been so busy since then haven't caught up with the rest - that's on today's menu, I hope :)
  • Options
    BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    For me, the clipped elbow is also a problem. Other than that, the side lighting is really well done and I don't see any lost detail in the light side.

Other than the elbow, I like this a lot. She also does beautiful expressions throughout this series.
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    Nice photo, but there's something about her teeth and the line of her upper lip… …looks a bit strange to my eye!

Well, you did ask!

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    I think the pose is nice, the lighting is great and the model is fabulous!

Have you tried a tighter crop of this image? I would like to see what it would look like cropped at the top, right at her hair line where the bangs start, down to just below her thumbnail.

Might not work, but I'd still like to see it.
  • Options
    Tonto wrote: »
    Hi Alex, I hate to say it but the pose really bugs me, with her elbow cut off it creates an optical illusion that suggests her right hand is in the shot even though logically you know that she has her left hand there, otherwise it is a lovely shot.

sorry

Ira

Hmm... I can accept that. It doesn't bug me at all but I do see what you mean. I lived on the wild side a bit with this set and kind of ignored some of the strict crop rules for portraiture. I can't say that I'm ready to go to following all the rules again. BTW, her right hand is in the shot. deal.gif
    captain78 wrote: »
    I do see some detail near her right eye, but that area, to me, takes away from the rest of the shot. It looks a little blown out. Not to say its a bad shot...it's just a small distraction. I just got this iPad...maybe I'm not used to the monitor.

Thanks for the follow up. Could be your iPad. Doesn't look at all hot to me. I'm looking at right now on a different monitor and still not bright to my taste.
    divamum wrote: »
    Gorgeous expression, but I find the arm placement on this one not quite convincing; like Tonto, to me it was an optical illusion, although at first glance it looked like somebody else's hand/arm rather than her own.

YOu've sure nailed this style, though - so glad you enjoyed the SB as much as I did! I watched half of it going out live but have been so busy since then haven't caught up with the rest - that's on today's menu, I hope :)

Cool. Thanks Diva. Like I said to Tonto, I can see what you guys are talking about but not ready to concede that it ruins the shot.

As for SB, I really like a lot of what she does and her approach to things. I really just clicked with me and meshes well with my personality and the way I shoot. I like that she's willing to buck traditional rules and accept that she will be criticized by other photogs to stay true to her style.

I don't like everything she does but I do like a lot of it.
    For me, the clipped elbow is also a problem. Other than that, the side lighting is really well done and I don't see any lost detail in the light side.

Other than the elbow, I like this a lot. She also does beautiful expressions throughout this series.

Thanks. I was working on posing in this set but more, I was trying to really work her expression. Get a her to "connect" with me and the camera. It's sounds by the comments that I did pretty good.
    Wil Davis wrote: »
    Nice photo, but there's something about her teeth and the line of her upper lip… …looks a bit strange to my eye!

Well, you did ask!

- Wil

HAHA... I think you're the first person that has ever noticed that the "joint' between doesn't quite line up with the middle of her lip. She literally has perfect teeth, other than this small misalignment which is hard to believe if you saw photos of her when she was little. She's never had a cavity but her teeth were really crowded and crooked as a kid. She had braces as a kid but had several teeth pulled to correct things. I guess that may be why they not exactly aligned with the middle of her lip.
    I think the pose is nice, the lighting is great and the model is fabulous!

Have you tried a tighter crop of this image? I would like to see what it would look like cropped at the top, right at her hair line where the bangs start, down to just below her thumbnail.

Might not work, but I'd still like to see it.

Tried the crop but it really doesn't work so chucked it Bryce. The hand really looked weird and appeared to be someone else's hand.

Here is the exact same pose but shot as portrait orientation and pulled back a bit. Maybe this works better because you can see the elbow? headscratch.gif

DSC2949-Edit-XL.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    Yes to the porotrait orientation shot above. YES.
    I really just clicked with me and meshes well with my personality and the way I shoot.
    I don't like everything she does but I do like a lot of it.

EXACTLY.
  • Options
    BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    Now THAT'S what I'm talkin about.thumb.gif
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    :jawdropPortrait orientation of that pose is SMOKE'N!!!:jawdrop
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    Portrait orientation is much better, but I still find the position of the hand in that pose awkward and unconvincing. Would you ever find her in that pose normally?
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    The portrait format is much nicer. Interesting about the teeth. I might even be tempted to fix it with some PP.

Thanks for sharing - the lighting is v. nice!

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    her whole face is hot. her body is hot. she is pretty much blowing the histogram wide open
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    Qarik wrote: »
    her whole face is hot. her body is hot. she is pretty much blowing the histogram wide open

If you mean "hot" as in hawt, then I agree.

If you mean "hot" as in blown highlights, then I will have to defer to the histogram below:
    Mitchell wrote: »
    Portrait orientation is much better, but I still find the position of the hand in that pose awkward and unconvincing. Would you ever find her in that pose normally?

Hmm... I would argue that many of the poses used in portraiture a person would never do normally. However, this pose, I think would be done normally with no direction.

Take a look at the two shots below. The first shot is a pretty natural sitting position. Maybe not typical, but natural I think. Now look at the second shot, which is virtually the same pose as the shot I posted above but simply shot from the front. The only difference is her right arm is resting on her knee.

DSC2908-Edit-X2.jpg

DSC2911-Edit-X2.jpg

My Smug Site