sRGB and RAW...help please

sbishopsbishop Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited November 19, 2005 in Finishing School
*I know there are tons of sRGB threads around these forums (and thanks to this site I now have a much better understanding of color profiles) so I apologize in advance for another one, but I poked around and didn't see an answer to this specific question, so please bear with me.*

I have a Canon S70 which I have just started to use shooting RAW. I've also recently acquired RAWShooter essentials, which seems to be an excellent program. But I have a problem.

In RAWShooter Essentials, When I'm converting to JPEG after making some adjustments, I choose the sRGB color profile in RAW Essentials. Then, afterwards, I when I check the EXIF data it says the color profile is sRGB. So far so good.

But when I upload them to a photo web site, the colors are washed out as if the profile is Adobe RGB, which web browsers don't agree with. :scratch

When I then take that same converted JPEG into Photoshop and choose the color profile as sRGB, it displays fine on the web site.

Am I missing something? Why doesn't the RAWShooter conversion to sRGB work? Do I have to go through Photoshop every time?

ANY help you can give is GREATLY appreciated...thanks for reading.:thumb

Comments

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2005
    Need to see an image with this problem
    sbishop wrote:
    *I know there are tons of sRGB threads around these forums (and thanks to this site I now have a much better understanding of color profiles) so I apologize in advance for another one, but I poked around and didn't see an answer to this specific question, so please bear with me.*

I have a Canon S70 which I have just started to use shooting RAW. I've also recently acquired RAWShooter essentials, which seems to be an excellent program. But I have a problem.

In RAWShooter Essentials, When I'm converting to JPEG after making some adjustments, I choose the sRGB color profile in RAW Essentials. Then, afterwards, I when I check the EXIF data it says the color profile is sRGB. So far so good.

But when I upload them to a photo web site, the colors are washed out as if the profile is Adobe RGB, which web browsers don't agree with. headscratch.gif

When I then take that same converted JPEG into Photoshop and choose the color profile as sRGB, it displays fine on the web site.

Am I missing something? Why doesn't the RAWShooter conversion to sRGB work? Do I have to go through Photoshop every time?

ANY help you can give is GREATLY appreciated...thanks for reading.thumb.gif
    Can you provide a link to an image that exhibits this problem so we can look at it? Not much to say without examining an image.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2005
    sbishop wrote:

ANY help you can give is GREATLY appreciated...thanks for reading.thumb.gif

I understand your problem, but I don't use RSE - I know Humungus and some others do, hopefully they will pop in this thread. Just also to check - in Photoshop, when you are done, you are doing "Save As" and choosing "embedded color profile sRGB" yes?
  • sbishopsbishop Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 19, 2005
    andy wrote:
    I understand your problem, but I don't use RSE - I know Humungus and some others do, hopefully they will pop in this thread. Just also to check - in Photoshop, when you are done, you are doing "Save As" and choosing "embedded color profile sRGB" yes?
    I think I found the problem. I think last time when I did the conversion from RSE I switched the color profile to sRGB after having added the RAW file to the conversion queue, so it used the profile selected when the photo was added which was...of course...Adobe RGB.

Thanks much for your help.

SB