Central Park - NYC

smugshot8348740-L.jpg
David Weiss | Canon 5D Mark III | FujiFilm XT-4 | iPhone
My Website
Facebook | Twitter | | VSCOgrid | Instagram |

Comments

• michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2012
    I'm pretty sure I've wandered over those rocks before. I like the shot the way you've cropped. Although I might play with lifting the shadows or dodging a little to help the bloke having his morning read stand out more.
  • PhotoDavid78PhotoDavid78 Registered Users Posts: 939 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2012
    Thanks for looking and thanks for the tip. This area is right along Central Park South.
    My Website
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2012
    michswiss wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I've wandered over those rocks before. I like the shot the way you've cropped. Although I might play with lifting the shadows or dodging a little to help the bloke having his morning read stand out more.

Agreed. Took me a few to actually see him in the composition. I wouldn't change the way you composed the shot. I think you need the trees to really make this shot. I'd just dodge him a bit and maybe add a slight vignette around him so the BG recedes a bit.

Here is a quick tip... open the photo in Photoshop. Add a curves adjustment layer. Take the curve just below where the midtones end and the shadows start. Pull it down so you create a nice bow shape with he curve. Not too steep of a bow though. Now select the gradient tool and set it to a circular gradient. Choose black from the color picker. Now drag the gradient from the dude in the picture towards the trees. This will add a nice vignette with him in the center of it. You can play with the length of the gradient and/or the opacity of the layer to your liking.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • PhotoDavid78PhotoDavid78 Registered Users Posts: 939 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2012
    ok. here is a re-edit. not sure the vignette works because it takes the detail out of the trees.

smugshot9986875-L.jpg
    My Website
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited October 6, 2012
    Yeah, the trees got a little too dark for me. If you want to go for a vignette, you might try centering the brightest part on the guy, not the building in the background. Dunno, might look contrived, but I'd give it a shot to see.