Sibling Portrait

elfving73elfving73 Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
edited November 21, 2005 in People
Hello friends!

Last thursday Veronica, Johan, Mats and little Robert stoped by on a visit to have their sibling portrait taken. The two elder brothers doesn't live in Stockholm, so the family isn't all gathered very often. So the siblings plan to give their mother a portrait of them in Christmas present. We took many different variants, but this is the one they choosed.

I can't make up my mind what I think of it. I'm happy with the lighting, but I'm not sure about the composition. BUT of course - if they like it, I (should) like it too! :): My biggest concern is that they asked me for a A2 print (42,0 × 59,4 cm) I shot it in RAW (Canon 10D), but unfortunately (by mistake) *GRRR* at ISO 400.
If you push it a liiittle, what is the largest print I could do, you'd say?

Thanx In Advance / Matty
45080469-O.jpg

We had a little time left for some "shoot-for-fun". This is Veronica and her elder brother Mats. For this pic, I said "For this pic, just pretend that your not siblings!" *Haha* Mats is very good looking, and has a very athletic body. I asked him if he would like to do some posing sometime, and he said sure. COOL!

45080473-O.jpg

Comments

• lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2005
    elfving73 wrote:
    Hello friends!

Last thursday Veronica, Johan, Mats and little Robert stoped by on a visit to have their sibling portrait taken. The two elder brothers doesn't live in Stockholm, so the family isn't all gathered very often. So the siblings plan to give their mother a portrait of them in Christmas present. We took many different variants, but this is the one they choosed.

I can't make up my mind what I think of it. I'm happy with the lighting, but I'm not sure about the composition. BUT of course - if they like it, I (should) like it too! :): My biggest concern is that they asked me for a A2 print (42,0 × 59,4 cm) I shot it in RAW (Canon 10D), but unfortunately (by mistake) *GRRR* at ISO 400.
    If you push it a liiittle, what is the largest print I could do, you'd say?

Thanx In Advance / Matty

We had a little time left for some "shoot-for-fun". This is Veronica and her elder brother Mats. For this pic, I said "For this pic, just pretend that your not siblings!" *Haha* Mats is very good looking, and has a very athletic body. I asked him if he would like to do some posing sometime, and he said sure. COOL!
    I'm not qualified to comment on the size of print but others will be able to .

I love the lighting on number 1- my feeling is they may be a little squishe up- the boy at the bottom does'nt see to have enough room.
    45080469-S.jpg

the second one to me is spectacular.. I love it.. it's confusing and interesting, I love the light the pose the composition.. everything..

45080473-S.jpg
    congrats!!clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited November 19, 2005
    What is it that Yuri always say... "it's all in the eyes" ?

However it goes, the eyes are definitely BANG spot-on in that second "for fun" portrait. nod.gif

By the way, I'm amazed that first shot came out of a 10D at ISO400. Mine were mostly useless for printing above ISO 200. Good luck with getting it printed that large, wish I could offer more help!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2005
    you see a lot of models on here. Mats really looks like one, bet he would have a future as a model...

troy
  • Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2005
    Matty!
    Great work (as always).
    I like all of them and yes, the eyes are ... mirrors of the soul...
    Spasibo,
    Yuri
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2005
    thumb.gif excellent i love them beautifull people
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2005
    Matty,
    Not that I have any personal experience in printing A2ne_nau.gif , but it seems to me that your group shot should be ok. Even if the noise is actually present (at the posted resolution I could not spot any) you black background is very easy to isolate from the nicely lighted subjects, and once you have the selection you can basically just blur the hell out of it. That is unless you already did that, hehe:-)
    Great portraits, btw! I really starting to thing of getting meself a black one (I have white and mixed gray), it looks very stylish!

Do you mind sharing other exif data and your lighting setup?

Thanks!
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited November 19, 2005
    Matty, I have a number of prints from a 10D printed at 13 x 19 inches that I am quite satisfied with. I shot this bridge scene in February 2004 with a 10D at ISO 400 ( I had to check the original RAW file info to be sure ) and it is a lovely print that is grainless at 13 x 19 inches, which is just slightly smaller than your print size.
    2435989-M.jpg

If your image is the full frame from the 10D without cropping, I suspect it will look just fine as a print. Let us know how it turns out.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • elfving73elfving73 Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2005
    Thanx Lynnma!
    Yes, I fully agree with you! They look a bit squishe and there is not enough room for the little boy. Of all pictures we took, this one is the one I'm most unhappy with - but they all prefered this one. headscratch.gif I guess people who isn't in to photography doesn't care much for composition and "balance" in a picture. The most important criterion is that they look good. :D

Matty
    edited November 20, 2005
    Thanx DoctorIt!

Well, at this picture size the noise is hardly visable (even when shot at 1600) but at full size there are some noise in the shadow areas. Not a big problem for a A4 print, or even a A3, but I have my doubts about A2. I think I'll persuade them to go for a A3 instead.

Matty

DoctorIt wrote:
    What is it that Yuri always say... "it's all in the eyes" ?

However it goes, the eyes are definitely BANG spot-on in that second "for fun" portrait. nod.gif

By the way, I'm amazed that first shot came out of a 10D at ISO400. Mine were mostly useless for printing above ISO 200. Good luck with getting it printed that large, wish I could offer more help!
    edited November 20, 2005
    Yes, I think so too, Troy! :): You'll see more of him in the future, count on that! I've booked him up for some shooting. thumb.gif

Matty
    windoze wrote:
    you see a lot of models on here. Mats really looks like one, bet he would have a future as a model...

troy
    edited November 20, 2005
    Thank you, Yuri! thumb.gif
    Matty!

Great work (as always).
    I like all of them and yes, the eyes are ... mirrors of the soul...
    Spasibo,
    Yuri
    edited November 20, 2005
    Thank you, Awais! I'll pass that on to them! :):

Matty
    thumb.gif excellent i love them beautifull people
    edited November 20, 2005
    Thanx Nikolai!

Actually, the backdrop (a black sheet) doesn't show off much noise, and as you meantioned, it's very easy to remove by masking and bluring (I usually mask, copy to new layer and use "Dust and Scratches". That way, you don't get as much "bleeding" into the main motif). There are some noise in the shadow areas, particullary the hair section below her chin and her neck (and areas similiar to that). I'm not very noise allergic and the noise present in this pic doesn't bother me much. But I have no idea what the noise would look like in a big print.

Here is a 100% crop. No editing:

45386578-O.jpg

My setup for this shoot was (as meantioned) a black sheet for backdrop for the sibling portrait and a white sheet for the other. For the sibling portrait I used two 500W hallogen construction lamps and stands with white umbrellas, one on the left, the other on the right, pointing down in a (ca) 45 deegree angle, and a little touch of a bouncing 580EX onto the ceiling.
    On the other pic I only lit the lamp on their left and didn't use the flash.

Exif: (Sibling portrait) Cam on tripod, remote controll, 1/30s, f/6.3, ISO 400, 58 mm. Shot in RAW.

Exif: Mats & Veronica: Cam on tripod, remote controll, 1/125s, f/3.2, ISO 100, 50 mm. Shot in Raw

Stay Tuned / Matty
  • PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2005
    Hi, Matty
    Nice photo but, yes I agree the first one would look better spread out a bit.
    I also think two hand around him in the second photo is a bit much. It might look better with just the hand on his chest.

Take Care,
    Chuck Cassidy,
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/burnsville_fun
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
    edited November 21, 2005
    Thanx Chuck!

Yes, the composition is not very pleasing, and I "secretly disapprove" the fact that they chosed that one. I have several pics that are, in my opinion, far better. headscratch.gif But, the "customer is always right", huh!? :D

Matty

Hi, Matty
    Nice photo but, yes I agree the first one would look better spread out a bit.
    I also think two hand around him in the second photo is a bit much. It might look better with just the hand on his chest.

Take Care,
    Chuck Cassidy,
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/burnsville_fun