Options

Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC

LusterLuster Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
edited November 13, 2012 in Accessories
I'm looking at this lens, but not sure if it's the right fit. I am looking for a Great outdoor portrait lens. I shoot with the Canon 60D, and can't spend an astronomical amount of money on glass. I also shoot video and am thinking this lens with the constant aperture would be nice. Is there anything better out there in this price range? What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited September 28, 2012
    Portraits are really multiple different applications and I like to describe them in groups:

Head shots and head-and-shoulders.
    3/4 length and full length.
    Environmental, group and natural settings.

For the first group, which is pretty tight to the head, on a crop/DX camera I prefer to use a longer focal length, generally 85mm or more. My preference on a Canon APS-C/crop 1.6x body would be either the:
    EF 135mm, f/2L USM (strongly recommended)
    or
    EF 100mm, f/2 USM
    For the second group I would generally use 50mm or so. A 35mm lens on a crop camera can do in a smaller room. For instance:
    EF 50mm, f/1.4 USM

For groups and when you want to record a larger scene, I recommend a standard zoom of 17-55mm(ish).
    The EF-S 17-55, f/2.8 IS USM is about ideal.

Large aperture primes allow more control over DOF, which is important for flexibility and controlling background elements.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    OP, this is a pretty new lens - there are some decent reviews now appearing, but not sure all that many people actually own it yet. It's one I'm considering for myself - I own a Canon 24-70 mkI, but I am interested in IS....
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    Canon 85mm f/1.8 excells on crop for portraits (136mm equiv. focal length)
    The Canon 100mm f/2.8 L IS Macro is also very fast to focus and suitable for the task (and many more).
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2012
    Thanks for all the input, there are so many options out there. I guess I'm really focusing my work in the area of environmental portraiture. I would prefer having a variable lens for capturing those wider angles, but also having the ability to bring my subjects in to fill the frame from a reasonable candid shot distance. I think I like the idea of the Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 for that reason. From all the reviews I have read on this lens it appears to be a great lens for this work. I know the Canon EF-S 17-55, f/2.8 IS USM would be a great lens, but I have a hard time spending that kind of dough on a Canon lens that is not an L series lens. I guess I'm going to have to rent both the Tamron and Canon and see which one is the better quality and fit for environmental portraiture. Thanks again for all the input, Keep them coming if you have any more options. I have an engagement shoot on a beach at the end of the month and I'm really looking to shoot it with some New glass.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited October 2, 2012
    Luster wrote: »
    ... I know the Canon EF-S 17-55, f/2.8 IS USM would be a great lens, but I have a hard time spending that kind of dough on a Canon lens that is not an L series lens. ...

The Canon EF-S 17-55mm, f/2.8 IS USM has optical qualities which place it well into the "L" series lenses for image quality. It lacks the magnesium body of most "L" lenses, and you won't find an EF-S "L" lens. (Canon seems to avoid putting the "L" designation on crop lenses).

For the portrait applications of "environmental, group and natural settings", I don't think that you'll find anything better for a Canon crop 1.6x/APS-C format body in a zoom lens.

As for costs, the Tamron SP 24-70mm, f2.8 DI VC USD sells for $1,299.00 (B&H).

A Canon EF-S 17-55mm, f/2.8 IS USM is $889.00 (in used EX+ condition at KEH) Add a Canon EF 100mm, f2.0 USM for the "head shots and head-and-shoulders" (in used EX+ condition at KEH) for $399.00.

The 2-lens solution is going to give much better versatility in general, and the potential for much better bokeh control using the 100mm, f2 prime (when appropriate).

For a 3-lens solution, consider the:

Tamron SP 17-50mm, f2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF]
    Canon EF 50mm, f1.4 USM
    Canon EF 100mm, f2.0 USM

The 3-lens solution covers your stated needs and stays in your budget (especially if you purchase used lenses). It gives you maximum versatility and can provide professional results.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2012
    Your right Ziggy, the Canon EF-S 17-55mm is definitely going to be the best bang on my APS-C format body. Thanks for your thorough input on lens options for my style of photography. http://www.cameralensrentals.com/ has a 15% off on there lenses for the 1st week of October. I will be renting this lens. I'll let you know how it goes.
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2012
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2012
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2012