Untitled

PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
edited October 12, 2012 in Street and Documentary
Not sure this works on any level, likely too busy to really focus on the subject in the doorway. Impressions greatly appreciated.

untitled-3655-L.jpg
The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography

Comments

• jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2012
    I like the subtle similarities on your shot, Patti. A little and a big girl, a small and a big bike. There was also this "frame within a frame" style but I think what hurt the shot is the quality of the lighting. It gives too much attention of the inside of the store instead of putting focus on the bike and the 2 little kids. IMO, this shot would work well if the inside of the store was dimly lit and there was a street light outside to illuminate them. Just an idea. Still, a very good take on your side. thumb.gifthumb :D
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2012
    I actually think its good shot and would be great it it was tighter on the girls and the bikes. You've captured a moment here and the photo tells a story on its own. I think portrait orientation would have worked better. In tighter. Fill the frame with the subject.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2012
    jiro wrote: »
    I like the subtle similarities on your shot, Patti. A little and a big girl, a small and a big bike. There was also this "frame within a frame" style but I think what hurt the shot is the quality of the lighting. It gives too much attention of the inside of the store instead of putting focus on the bike and the 2 little kids. IMO, this shot would work well if the inside of the store was dimly lit and there was a street light outside to illuminate them. Just an idea. Still, a very good take on your side. thumb.gifthumb :D

Yes, the brightly lit interior was a problem. I literally took it from the back seat of a car while stopped at a light at twilight. I looked over and there they were. By the time I pulled out my gear, the older child who was in full sob mode, had turned away. I got what I could.
    I actually think its good shot and would be great it it was tighter on the girls and the bikes. You've captured a moment here and the photo tells a story on its own. I think portrait orientation would have worked better. In tighter. Fill the frame with the subject.

I'll take a look at a crop in that orientation to compare. I thought the bicycle repair on the sign overhead tied in nicely to the girls' bikes beside them, adding to the context. Hey, I could be wrong and usually am. Thanks for your take.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer

patti hinton photography
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2012
    I think the scene pretty much compels you to go wide. Just the girls and the bikes
    doesn't tell the same story as the store with the sign, and you can't crop part of the
    sign and still have the context.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
    edited October 8, 2012
    TonyCooper wrote: »
    I think the scene pretty much compels you to go wide. Just the girls and the bikes
    doesn't tell the same story as the store with the sign, and you can't crop part of the
    sign and still have the context.

My feeling exactly, Tony.

patti hinton photography
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2012
    I've looked at this a few times. I know it's techie talk but it feels posterised. Too stark and I'm losing the girls. I like what's there but is there any chance you can ease down the contrast?
    edited October 11, 2012
    michswiss wrote: »
    I've looked at this a few times. I know it's techie talk but it feels posterised. Too stark and I'm losing the girls. I like what's there but is there any chance you can ease down the contrast?

Too high contrast for you eh? Thanks for the feedback. I'll take another go when time allows.

patti hinton photography
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2012
    I think the real problem here, Patti, isn't the contrast or the question of vertical, horizontal, tight, or wide. Rather, it's that the image is so incredibly cluttered. There is just too damn much distracting material that draws attention away from the girls and the bikes. Sorry, but this one just doesn't work for me.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2012
    Patti wrote: »
    Too high contrast for you eh? Thanks for the feedback. I'll take another go when time allows.

Yeah, I know. Me complaining about high contrast. I should be so bold... rolleyes1.gif
  • seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2012
    "I have to keep reminding myself that photography is about reduction." - Alec Soth