From the Tough Mud event
RAG2068NEF-XL.jpg
RAG2083NEF-XL.jpg
RAG2094NEF-XL.jpg
RAG2091NEF-XL.jpg
RAG2104NEF-XL.jpg
Rags

Comments

• anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2012
    Looks like a Tough Mudder event. I completed the Tough Mudder in Big Bear CA in July.

That said. I think all the shots are underexposed and quite flat. Otherwise, you'd have some nice shots in there.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2012
    Thanks for the comment. You finished one? That's great, you have my respect.

I gotta be honest that was the best display of personal best I ever saw.

I knew no one, but was proud of everybody...

Pop.... you know I shoot motorsports on vivid (Nikon). Which returns a sharp saturated image, but is not so good on skin tones.

Knowing I would be shooting skin I used standard; and it's closer to what I saw in reality.

That said, I think we all are being bombarded with saturated images with HD TV, it may be becoming the norm.

I turned the corner after owning a 135 DC f2 (handled skin beautifully)

Again thanks for the comment, here are the rest.. http://ragspix.smugmug.com/Other/1209-Tough-Mud/25669636_kGRTNd#!i=2120388533&k=f4k2fVH
    Rags
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2012
    Hmm... I think you may have misunderstood. I didn't say the colors weren't saturated enough. I said the images are underexposed. Admittedly, looking at them on my calibrated monitor at home, they look better. But the parts of the images that count, the faces, are underexposed. The backgrounds are exposed correctly. Lighting conditions look horrid so you can only do so much but in circumstances like this, I'd prefer to blow out the backgrounds and get the face exposed properly than the other way around.

Just my opinion of course. Others will probably love the shots.

My Smug Site
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2012
    Just a suggestion, but I think - when you've taken multiple shots of the same event - that
    you should consider posting one at a time...and work on that one in post a little more.

The argument against this, in this series, is that a group of images supplies context that
    a single image doesn't always provide, but it does allow viewers to see each as an image
    and comment based on this.

As a series, I still don't know what's going on other than the fact that for some reason
    people are dragging themselves through mud. The last time I did that was in Basic
    Training.

What I don't see in any of the images is a sense of determination which I kinda assume
    is necessary to complete the course. The people are having too much fun. (Which I didn't
    have in Basic Training)

Also, with an event like this, an explanatory paragraph could be in order. I don't think I'm
    the only one who has never heard of this sport (?), Of the images, #2 registers best with
    me because it's the one that shows enough of the subject to have a go at guessing what
    this is all about. #1 shows a wider field, but image doesn't work for me.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
    edited October 1, 2012
    Thanks for the comments Tony. The explanation of the event is in the Go Mudder thread.

I didn't have fun in basic either (but I had to do it or break the "law"), but it was gratifying to see young people interested in fitness after reading so much about the obesity problem in the US

And they were doing it voluntarily...

To respond to the Cuban... what's his name?? :D

Those low shots were taken with 51 pt 3D and a bubble level with my hands resting on the ground. I had know idea where the exposure point was.

Pretty similar to shooting from the hip, except it was with a 300S and a Sigma 50/500
    Rags
    edited October 2, 2012
    torags wrote: »
    To respond to the Cuban... what's his name?? :D

Those low shots were taken with 51 pt 3D and a bubble level with my hands resting on the ground. I had know idea where the exposure point was.

Pretty similar to shooting from the hip, except it was with a 300S and a Sigma 50/500

Interesting. Looks like exposure was pretty constant from one shot to the next. Don't see why you couldn't go manual and set your exposure before you starting praying and spraying, as I like to call shooting from the hip or any other position where you're not actively composing the shot. I guess we all have different methods to our madness but I'm beating a dead horse here.

BTW, you should try running a tough mudder. They're a blast. Lots of team work and camaraderie during the "challenge". It's not a race BTW. Great experience. I'm signed up for another one in Temecula in February.

Oh... and my name is Alex but you can Cuban if you like that better.

My Smug Site
    edited October 2, 2012
    Hehehe... Alex, I was in basic in 1963; do the math, do you think I could make it?

We used to call camaraderie - Esprit de corps.

The military has institutionalized the feeling so well, that soldiers give up their survival instincts.

However, it was a pleasure to see it demonstrated in the event.
    Rags
    edited October 2, 2012
    Thanks for the comments Tony. The explanation of the event is in the Go Mudder thread.

I didn't have fun in basic either (but I had to do it or break the "law"), but it was gratifying to see young people interested in fitness after reading so much about the obesity problem in the US

And they were doing it voluntarily...

Ah, I didn't see that thread. All is clearer than mud now.

BTW, the photos in that thread are much better. #2 is great.

I like the electrified wire bit. In Basic, they fired tracers over
    our head.
    edited October 2, 2012
    Hehehe... Alex, I was in basic in 1963; do the math, do you think I could make it?

1962. Ft Leonard Wood, here.
    edited October 2, 2012
    Looks like a Tough Mudder event. I completed the Tough Mudder in Big Bear CA in July.

That said. I think all the shots are underexposed and quite flat. Otherwise, you'd have some nice shots in there.
    TonyCooper wrote: »

1962. Ft Leonard Wood, here.

Ft Dix, NJ here... January.... Colder than a witches tit... eek7.gif
    Rags