Options

my husband, his illness

VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
edited October 7, 2012 in People
Some of you know my husband was diagnosed one year ago with Pic's disease, a progressive brain disease effecting everything ,behavior, attitude, abilities. He finally began walking.. exercise is the best thing.. there is no treatment for this disease. Anyway he takes the same short stroll everyday but now he does it 4 or 5 times a day and puts it on FB. He has some old high school friends that are very kind and encouraging to him on FB so I decided to take pictures of his walk. Everyday he gives the details of the temperatures when he returns on FB. So here are the first images I posted for his friends. He wears this outfit every single day unless I insist he change for special occasions.
I kinda wanted to do a journal about this but it is too hard to see him disappearing before my eyes. In one year since diagnosis my husband is already gone, often behaving like a bratty 7 yr old.This man that used to be a high paid VP.

i-tQwJ2Wc-L.jpg

i-4DCsJqN-L.jpg

i-RTctP8Q-L.jpg

i-fG7Bxwd-L.jpg
Trudy
www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,917 moderator
    edited October 1, 2012
    Sorry to hear of this, Trudy. My mother had Alzheimer’s and it took her from us in early 2009.

My sister found some solace in reading a series in 'The New Yorker' which became, "The Long Goodbye: A memoir", by Meghan O'Rourke. (This book is not specific to any disease, but rather deals with the emotional toll of a protracted illness in a family member.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2012
    My heart goes out to you Trudy (corrected). My wife is sliding downhill from progressive MS, onset in 2003 from a stroke in "98. We've been through all the treatments, and the regimes...She was the chief accountant for one of the biggest drilling companies in the world long ago. I have had to now take over everything, finances, her meds, everything. Anymore, I wake up everyday and my goal is to enrich her life, make her days easier, and make her smile or laugh in some way. When you love someone deeply, you do whatever you have to do for them. I hope he continues to stay mobile and you hang in there, there is a special place for people like you.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2012
    Not me, Novice, but Trudy. I echo everybody's sentiments- tough stuff, and I know you have done AMAZING things to hold your family together after this devastating news.

Can I also say that however difficult these photos are to take, at some point people will be so glad to have them, as well as the ones of your hsuband before this illness took hold of him. I feel sure your grandchildren will be beyond grateful for this picture "documentary".

You inspire me daily, Trudy - you have SO MUCH on your plate, and yet you always come across as one of the most up-beat people imaginable.
  • Options
    novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2012
    My apologies Trudy. Corrected.
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2012
    Someone once said that the true judge of a persons character is in how they respond to difficulties. You are a person with character of the highest order. You are an inspiration to all.

That is a really beautiful neighborhood. It reminds me of a place in Awatukee that I used to visit.
  • Options
    lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2012
    Wow Trudy I had no idea! I think you will ultimately be glad you started documenting. I'm sorry you have to go through this.

Btw, I love where you live, gorgeous.
  • Options
    BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2012
    Nothing I can add to the others, above, Trudy but I do wish you all the strength this takes.
    Been through it and I now it's A LOT.
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • Options
    FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2012
    Someone once said that the true judge of a persons character is in how they respond to difficulties. You are a person with character of the highest order. You are an inspiration to all.

Well said! I wish you the best and all the strength in the world!
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2012
    Sentimental me says "keep shooting". Thank you for sharing!iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2012
    It is very hard to cope and see bright spots but this will make you stronger and shows your character. When love ones who go through this are gone you will be so thankful you were so strong and giving. Dad was like that and I just lost him Wednesday. I wish I could have come home more often. Stay strong.
  • Options
    YaflyyadieYaflyyadie Registered Users Posts: 558 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2012
    The ones that have gone throughout this same path, waking up every day looking at a very much loved one fading into a shadow of him/herself know how you feel, in this case, I personally know.
    Just Pray hard, that will make you stronger and be assured that personally unknown ones around this forum are Praying too.
    Carlos
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2012
    Thank you, each one of you. It did not occur to me to consider the grandchildren, our 3rd on is one the way. I shall continue.
    You do give me way too much credit, I am not doing this for any reason other than I have no choice. It has taken me a year to BEGIN to accept this and stop looking at it like a prison sentence.
    I used to wake up each morning looking at a strange room and wonder where I was. Everything is gone and we live on disabilty and whatever I make with photography. Yes there are bright spots but not the kind you are thinking of. My husband knows he is ill but not like you or I would. It does not bother him. That is goofy and it is a riot when he plays the village idiot by flapping his limp arm across his chest. We scream out loud laughing, it is an inside joke but it horrifies some people. My rheumetologist nearly fell over when he did that in her office lol.

And then there was the time he called me into the kitchen to help him open a box. Some items are easier to remove if you pull the entire box off from the top. He STOOD on the kitchen counter asking me to pull my new Kitchen Aide mixer down and out of the box. He was so high up I could barely reach the bottom of the box. If I could have caught that with a camera.. !!!
    My grandmother, mother and aunt all passed from Alz. I was worried it would be me, Pick's disease is similar, it still could be me, what a cruel joke that would be to kids that are afraid they might get saddled with parents depending on them.
    ANYWAY thank the Lord I have photography and friends like you fellow Smugmuggers.Thank you all for your support and encouragement , it is priceless.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2012
    I have no words.........only feelings to complex to articulate...........cherish what you do have............do what you can..............don't forget to take care of yourself............my heart goes out to you.

Sam
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2012
    Trudy, continued prayers for strength and your ability to find and cherish sweeter moments. Thank you for sharing.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2012
    #3 for me, Trudy. A poignant portrait.

Keep up your strength and keep shooting.