Looking for backup camera suggestions

photodad1photodad1 Registered Users Posts: 566 Major grins
edited October 9, 2012 in Cameras
I am looking for a backup camera and I'm looking for suggestions. I currently have a Canon 7D body and Canon's 70-200mm f2.8 non-IS and 17-55 EFS f2.8 IS lenses. I photograph sports, portraits and landscapes. I was looking at another Canon 7D, however, the price of 5D Mark II keeps dropping.

Comments

• jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2012
    used 1D3?
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • photodad1photodad1 Registered Users Posts: 566 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2012
    used 1D3?

I thought about the 1D3, however, I have read about some of the troubles with The AF. I like the Canon 7D except when shooting at ISO 6400. Too much noise for me.
    edited October 1, 2012
    photodad1 wrote: »
    I thought about the 1D3, however, I have read about some of the troubles with The AF. I like the Canon 7D except when shooting at ISO 6400. Too much noise for me.

Ok, then 5D2. What is the holdup? Your portraits and landscapes will benefit.

Or if having a true full backup to your 7D is mandatory for your sports shooting, then a used 1D4 is the only thing that would be better than your 7D. But for that money you'd also have to consider a new 5D3, and deal with the shorter reach and lower frame rate. 5D2 can do sports, but you will bring home fewer keepers.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • photodad1photodad1 Registered Users Posts: 566 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2012
    How does the 1D Mark IV do at ISO 6400 compared to the Canon 7D?
    edited October 9, 2012
    photodad1 wrote: »
    How does the 1D Mark IV do at ISO 6400 compared to the Canon 7D?

I haven't shot one but it's my understanding from looking at samples online that it's significantly better. I would assume a 1 stop advantage in general.
    -Jack