Curtain Twitcher

SyncopationSyncopation Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
edited October 6, 2012 in Street and Documentary
CA10021222390256-L.jpg
Syncopation

The virtue of the camera is not the power it has to transform the photographer into an artist, but the impulse it gives him to keep on looking. - Brook Atkinson- 1951

Comments

• TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2012
    I like the doorway aspect, but would crop to just the doorway. The area
    to the left not only doesn't add to the image, but presents a conflicting
    aspect with the name of the shop.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2012
    I would have taken a counter approach to Tony. I think I would have tried to frame it to include the full window on the left assuming it was square. The yellow flag at the bottom of the frame is a little distracting. I doubt there's much you could have done about that. Still, I like the moment very much.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited October 3, 2012
    Doesn't work for me. What destroys it is the reflection of the passing car and the small yellow surveyor's flag.

Sorry.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited October 6, 2012
    ian408 wrote: »
    Doesn't work for me. What destroys it is the reflection of the passing car and the small yellow surveyor's flag.

Sorry.
    I'm afraid I have to agree. I do like the peeking, but I disagree with Tony about cropping the window out. I think this is one case in which filling the frame with the subject is not the best idea.
  • SyncopationSyncopation Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2012
    Thanks for the comments. This was pretty much a grab shot and as such there wasn't a lot I could do about the car reflection and the yellow flag (maybe desaturate this?). That aside I think the image has some merit, I like the colour/texture of the shopfront and the face is an added element although I can see why others may take an opposing view.
    Syncopation

The virtue of the camera is not the power it has to transform the photographer into an artist, but the impulse it gives him to keep on looking. - Brook Atkinson- 1951
  • seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2012
    Huh, surprised a bit this isn't getting more acclaim. It's a great shot. Anytime someone is looking through a window like this often is. And the framing is excellent to. I agree the yellow thing is a bit of a bummer. Might not matter in black and white, or disappear with a 2:3 crop that keeps the name on the window in the frame.