Options

Engagement advice?

Midknightc3Midknightc3 Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
edited October 5, 2012 in People
This shoot was a whole lot of firsts for me. I have never done a staged portrait session before (only candid's) and I have never used studio lighting nor reflectors/defusers outdoors since I have mostly done travel photography from a motorcycle (all that extra stuff just won't fit). However, one of my best friends just got engaged and she asked if I would do their engagement photos for them. It was supposed to be a late afternoon (golden hour) shoot at a local park, but due to engine troubles they didn't get up here until after dark. We decided to do outdoors the next morning, but I was able to borrow a pair of lights from the library, so using my friends living room wall as a backdrop we gave it a try.

ISO400, 85mm, f2.0, 1/60sec. Needs more DOF as his face is out of focus but hers is perfect
i-X7KxN2J-L.jpg

ISO400, 85mm, f1.2, 1/160sec. Again, DOF with his face slightly out, and wish I had a solid backdrop
i-wXbR6dZ-L.jpg

ISO400, 85mm, f2.0, 1/60sec
i-KtK97vb-L.jpg

Opinions? I wouldn't have chosen that color background given a choice, but since I don't have a studio yet beggars can't be choosers. Any advice on how to improve next time, and especially on changes in editing for these would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Clark
I recommend wearing trashcans on your heads to avoid any accidental exposure to knowledge - Dogbert

Comments

• Options
    ADMIT PhotographyADMIT Photography Registered Users Posts: 431 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2012
    I like them and I'm sure the couple will as well. My only thought is on image #2. You can see a foot coming out of their heads which is distracting. I would go in a clone it out.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    Facebook - Twitter
    Nikon D200, D80, SB600, nikon 50mm 1.8, nikon 18-135 3.5-4.6, nikon 70-200
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2012
    Thanks Farnsowrth! It was fun and a good learning experience.

Clark
    I recommend wearing trashcans on your heads to avoid any accidental exposure to knowledge - Dogbert
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2012
    These are really fun, and well shot. You can do a lot in post processing with these. For instance, I think they'd be improved by something as simple as a negative vignette.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2012
    I hadn't thought of the negative vignette, but I really like that idea, thanks!

Clark