Macro Lens Conundrums....

Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
edited October 5, 2012 in Holy Macro
Looking for a longer Macro and an auto focus one too boot....

I have read dozens and dozens of reviews on the Sigma 150 and 180 F2.8 OS macro....all good...no real ill reviews unless you count the ones about a problem with Canon cameras...so I don't have any worries there....

My conundrums....

1 - Which to get???

the specs are very close & the reviews are all good...the difference I find is the 3 or so inches of min focus and since that is between 15 and 18 inches to get 1:1 mag that is nothing to worry about...either one gives me plenty of distance for adding light if I need reflectors or flash....

2 - I shoot off a tripod most of the time especially for close up / macro / wildlife ... ... so is there any real need to get an OS model other than resell value later on??

THANX IN ADVANCE ... ... ... ...
"Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,069 moderator
    edited October 4, 2012
    They're both great true macro lenses and you could be happy with either for that task.

How else do you intend to use the lens?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    They're both great true macro lenses and you could be happy with either for that task.

How else do you intend to use the lens?

THANX ZIGGY...

Probably as a portrait lens ever now and again, as i don't need another med tele for wildlife...I have the Nikon 70-200 and the Siggy BigMa for that chore... ... ... I am gonna retire my Micro-Nikkor 105F4 AIS with the 1:1 adapter for auto focus and more working distance at 1:1.....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited October 4, 2012
    Is the stabilization something that would help with your portraiture?
    ziggy53
    edited October 4, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Is the stabilization something that would help with your portraiture?

Sometimes..maybe...it is not a real issue either way... OS/IS/VR might be useful when I am down on my knees or lying on the ground just using elbows or knees as the pod... ... ... but I still shoot like I am using film cams ... ... which is why I eluded to the future sale of the lens factor....figuring a lens with stabilization should bring more down the road than a non stabilized lens ...... as I have seen people on other forums asking what do you mean I can use an AIS manual focus lens....what is that.....You mean I have to focus the lens the camera won't do it.....so in a couple more years those kind of remarks will a lot prevalent.....:D I am sure.....

edited October 4, 2012
    The Sigma 180mm, f2.8 APO Macro EX DG OS HSM costs a lot more in the here and now (around $1,699.00 new). I suspect that it and the Sigma 150mm, f2.8 EX DG OS HSM APO Macro, at around $1,099.00 new, will lose about the same percentage in value over time, so if the stabilization feature is not important to you now, I wouldn't advise investing in technology you don't need.

Optical stabilization also means one more thing possible to fail, meaning less overall durability.

Just Google for "lens stabilization problems" and see what turns up.

With what you have mentioned as your uses and preference, I would recommend the Sigma 150mm, f2.8 EX DG OS HSM APO Macro as the more appropriate to your needs and wishes. That $600 difference could easily purchase another lens, or other stuff.
    ziggy53
    edited October 5, 2012
    Thanx Ziggy ... ... ...sorta what I was thinking also ...