Damaged Canon 28-70 2.8L

tworstwors Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
edited February 11, 2013 in House of Canon
Wiling to buy a damaged lens to fix mine... I need good internal glass components and a good filter ring. Sent mine off for repair but they no longer can get the parts I need. So if you have a lens that will not focus or the switch is bad or has other damage than internal components, shoot me a message and maybe we can work something out.

Comments

• scottgee1scottgee1 Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2012
    twors wrote: »
    Wiling to buy a damaged lens to fix mine... I need good internal glass components and a good filter ring. Sent mine off for repair but they no longer can get the parts I need. So if you have a lens that will not focus or the switch is bad or has other damage than internal components, shoot me a message and maybe we can work something out.
    Have you checked with Southern Photo to find out if they can still fix it? They do a lot of service work and may have the parts. They're in Miami. Here's their address:

http://www.sp-ts.com/

In any case, good luck!
  • austinado16austinado16 Registered Users Posts: 300 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2012
    Let us know if Southern can help you out. I've got one of these I'd like to send in too. I can't believe Canon won't work on them any more.

BTW, they aren't hard to take apart and work on. If you've got a magnifying hood and a set of jeweler's screwdrivers....
    Let's face it; more gear than sense.

Canon 7D... Canon 70-200/2.8L IS... Canon 28-70/2.8L... Canon 135/f2L... Canon 85/1.8... Canon 50/1.4... Canon 28/1.8
    edited October 17, 2012
    I can't believe Canon won't work on them any more.
    Of course Canon would very much prefer we buy new lenses so they stop offering service on 'old' ones as soon as they're legally allowed to do so. I find this particularly galling with 'L' lenses.
    :soapbox
  • tworstwors Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited October 17, 2012
    scottgee1 wrote: »
    Have you checked with Southern Photo to find out if they can still fix it? They do a lot of service work and may have the parts. They're in Miami. Here's their address:

http://www.sp-ts.com/

In any case, good luck!

Thanks I will give them a shout. I have tried both, Canon service center and KEH, both report they can not get the parts. appreciate the lead.
    edited November 30, 2012
    twors, what ended up happening with this? Those of us with older lenses could benefit from your experience.

Thanks!/ScottGee1
    edited December 3, 2012
    Currently it is at Southern photo... They have a damaged lens and are taking a look at mine to see if they have the parts to fix it. They received it 26 Oct. Hoping to hear from them this week! I will let you know how their service is.
    edited December 15, 2012
    Any updates on this repair?

Yesterday I scored a brand new focusing motor assembly on ebay, so I'd like to send mine in to Southern once I receive the motor. Mine's got a little sluggish focus action intermittently, and a blur to the left side when wide open.

Canon 7D... Canon 70-200/2.8L IS... Canon 28-70/2.8L... Canon 135/f2L... Canon 85/1.8... Canon 50/1.4... Canon 28/1.8
    edited January 17, 2013
    Just paid for the Len's return and repair on Tuesday. I haven't received it but they say it works perfectly, but they could not replace the filter ring as none could be found. They received the lens on 26 Oct and told me they had a spare lens to take the parts from and the repair would take 3 weeks. After several calls I find they do not have the parts but were trying to locate them. The only real issues I have with this is
    1. The fact it took so long to get the repair completed
    2. They told me they had the parts and didn't. I'm not bashing anyone mind you, I was very explicit in my explanation of the damage to the lens. They told me they had those parts on hand. I will give them the benefit of the doubt until I see the actual invoice.
    3. the lack of followup to my emails inquiring as to the status. I had to call until I finally told them to send it back to me, Then I got "its in work right now and should be complete today"
    More to follow--- Hope to have the lens back for a shoot this weekend.
    edited January 17, 2013
    Any updates on this repair?

Yesterday I scored a brand new focusing motor assembly on ebay, so I'd like to send mine in to Southern once I receive the motor. Mine's got a little sluggish focus action intermittently, and a blur to the left side when wide open.

Did you get your focusing motor? Have you sent it in yet?
    edited January 17, 2013
    1. The fact it took so long to get the repair completed.

twors, thanks for making the time to follow up on this.

I quoted your first point because it seems to be relatively common for camera repair people to over-promise on delivery and then make excuses when they miss their 'promise' date. This seems to apply to small shops and doubly to one-man operations. OTOH, Canon is just the opposite; they tend to beat their dates even if and perhaps because they charge top dollar.

Looking forward to the final chapter of this story!
  • argarargar Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited January 17, 2013
    You can guys check also Midstate Camera Repair shop. Very good guys. They fixed, cleaned my gear many times in the past. With them there is no any games, if they have parts, they will tell you right a way, if they don't they will not play a waiting game, You will hear simple I'm sorry we don't have a parts for that...
    Overall they provide very good service for very reasonable prices. Link to their website
    edited January 28, 2013
    Thanks for the info on Mid-State.

I have not sent my 28-70L in yet because I'm in the middle of another gymnastics season and can't be without it.

edited February 1, 2013
    Well "Finally" got the lens back. I have to say that it does work but was not "fully" repaired. The lens filter ring was "made to work" but overall I have to say I am satisfied with the job. Of course spending 369.00 bucks was better than spending 1500 for a new 24-70 (but I did by a 24 1.4L). It took a LOT longer than promised but they performed something Canon couldn't do. So there is something to be said for the smaller shops that ... and I quote "have the parts on hand" but will take the time to find the parts even if they don't have them. I have to say I wasn't overly pleased with the run-around after 6 weeks by customer service, but they got the job done in the end. I have used it only a couple times and it seems to have a slower focus than it used to have and sometimes has to re-focus even though I haven't moved, Don't know if it is just me because I have been using my faster lens or not. I will follow up again after I shoot with it for a couple weeks. More to follow.
    edited February 1, 2013
    Hmmm . . . so overall a mixed bag. As you point out, at least the lens is working rather than being a write-off so good for Southern for getting that done, but it sounds like they need to work on their business practices and communication.

Thanks for the updates!
    edited February 11, 2013
    scottgee1 wrote: »
    Hmmm . . . so overall a mixed bag. As you point out, at least the lens is working rather than being a write-off so good for Southern for getting that done, but it sounds like they need to work on their business practices and communication.

Thanks for the updates!

Mixed Bag is a nice way to put it..... Had the chance to shoot with it this week and I am happy to say the lens is working almost as well as it had before it was dropped. It is working and will AF but seems to have to try two or three times before I get a lock. Once it locks the photos are as sharp as they always have been... I figure I will be sending this lens to the daughter to use and buy me a 24-70mm.
    edited February 11, 2013
    Mixed Bag is a nice way to put it..... Had the chance to shoot with it this week and I am happy to say the lens is working almost as well as it had before it was dropped. It is working and will AF but seems to have to try two or three times before I get a lock. Once it locks the photos are as sharp as they always have been... I figure I will be sending this lens to the daughter to use and buy me a 24-70mm.
    Hmmm . . . it may sound silly at this point, but have you considered letting them know the focusing is not really working correctly and sending it back to them to address the problem? I assume the repair has some sort of warranty.