Options

Mini-challenge #152: Illustrated Motion

2»

Comments

• Options
    Alans GrinAlans Grin Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2012

Thanks so much Alan, for your patient hand-holding. Now we can all get back to gawking at these many great motion images. Sorry to ALL for the disruption.

No Worries, and I agree, despite my original concerns about this being a "narrow" subject, there are many wonderful photos here ... some stunning technical shooting and many that illustrate that sometimes a shot with a bit of motion blurring can add dynamism (I think that is a real word), atmosphere or eneregy. Not all such shots should be thrown away GrandmaR!

Only 2 days in, yet I'm still suprised to not see more "panning" shots and other shots which would fit this theme ... such as Star Trails or long exposures of cloud movement etc.

Judging is not going to be easy.

Alan
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2012
    #1 - Bass Hands
    537255772_J3LXh-L-1.jpg

#2 - Piano Hands
    323194283_G7Up7-XL-1.jpg

#3 - Take Off
    658929682_8GmY5-L.jpg
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2012
    In any case, just want to say...

Love it WSS! How'd you do it? I've been so busy these past several years with travel pics, I forgot how much fun it is to experiment with slo-mo zooms 'n such.

Thanks!

This was a dusk shot, taken for the Orton challenge. The rest of the gallery is here, if you are interested: http://www.seewhatshesaw.com/Competitions/DSS-85-Orton-Effect

It happens to be one of my favorites of those I took for the challenge. I find that people either really like this one or they really dislike it. I have a friend who says it makes her dizzy.

So f8, 1/2 second shutter, ISO 100. My camera gets really noisy above 200, so I tend to shoot at 100 most of the time.

For this particular shot, I focused on the black-eyed susan in the center and either pushed or pulled the camera slightly while keeping the black-eyed susan in the center of the frame. It doesn't take much motion to produce an interesting effect. I brightened it a bit in post.

Alan, I kind of like all of the attention.
  • Options
    grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,946 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2012
    When I was picking my shots to add, I tried to eliminate those photos that were just out of focus - the subject was moving but the subject was universally blurred because the background was in focus and not the subject rather than the subject being in focus and the background being out of focus. I really like this one because it is my daughter but I think she is just out of focus instead of showing motion.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-KoVQJPJkuoY/UHJAaiSqJSI/AAAAAAABirs/_a1eGm-_dQw/s720/000001390005.jpg

I had a couple of time exposures (one of a Morey eel in the Bermuda aquarium back in 1964) but it was so blurred that it was like a bad abstract painting instead of a photo of something. One of them I have no idea what I did to get that effect. I think I must have moved the camera quite a bit. I considered using it, but I didn't like the composition of the picture. (Not putting the photo here because it is not an entry

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-gF4NICNpa6I/UHI8EY5yP7I/AAAAAAABirU/REE7pwPPQA4/s720/xGetThumb%253Bjsessionid%253DA829C91216263EDE09ED2E47062BBCE45.jpg
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • Options
    StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2012
    Barrel Racer
    I decided to use this contest as an opportunity to try something I've been meaning to give a go for a while now. These photos are multiple exposures carefully stitched together in Photoshop--it was fun to try to show the movement of the horse and rider this way. Hoping it was worth the experiment...

1. Round the second barrel (Using three of five exposures taken in just under two seconds.)

i-nxmqv5V-L.jpg

2. Down the last stretch (Four exposures taken over one second.)

i-GVR4MRF-X2.jpg

Finally, my third entry is a more conventional long exposure shot:

3. Fourth of July

666297354_i33TU-L-1.jpg
  • Options
    fjcvisualfjcvisual Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2012
    Wow, some really creative shots. Here are a few:

1. Morning Rush
    i-6L9G46D-L.jpg

2. Fearless
    i-fkRXvsV-L.jpg

3. Lunch Time
    i-67NrRkT-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2012
    Wil Davis wrote: »

Second shot... ...if we're allowed!!!

(1) Funfair UK. (circa 1973):
    (2) Gee Bee ( Owl's Head, Maine):
    (3) Isle of Man Manx Grand Prix (circa 1980):

Will,

Although I enjoy seeing as many shots as possible and really enjoyed seeing yours, the rules do state a maximum of 3 entries.
    Personally I'm not that worried, but some posters in here might be quite competitive and it would be unfair to allow you to enter 6!

If you don't make it clear which ones, then I'll only consider the first three - which, although I guess I'm not supposed to say, I think is the better set.

I didn't make the rules - sorry!

Alan - (Judge).
  • Options
    senorjaxsenorjax Registered Users Posts: 298 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2012
    This is a great theme, I love love love motion in images. Here's three hula hoopers in the dark.

NIB4691-L.jpg

NIB4677-L.jpg

NIB4685-L.jpg
    Jay
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2012
    Alans Grin wrote: »
    Will,

Although I enjoy seeing as many shots as possible and really enjoyed seeing yours, the rules do state a maximum of 3 entries.
    Personally I'm not that worried, but some posters in here might be quite competitive and it would be unfair to allow you to enter 6!

If you don't make it clear which ones, then I'll only consider the first three - which, although I guess I'm not supposed to say, I think is the better set.

I didn't make the rules - sorry!

Alan - (Judge).

OK - No problems! I'll delete the 2nd set (if I can!) '

Thanks!

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    superduckzsuperduckz Registered Users Posts: 377 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2012
    I realize this is my first post so this is with some apologies for being a bit brash. I've just purchased a new D5100 and have been lurking quietly for a while now. I promise to do a proper introduction later this weekend (and ask some "hopefully" intelligent questions). As far as the photo, this goes back a few years and was taken with an old Olympus general use 5mp camera I no longer own. I have the original at home and will update with specific settings etc when I can get to the exif info. thx
    PB050141.JPG

P1010118.JPG

falling%2520angel.jpg
    Accidents and Inspiration
    One of these days I'll have to figure out what my "style" is..
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2012
    Hi superduckz,

I feel a bit of a fraud being such a newbie myself, but just thought I’d say “welcome”… and also to AlxCar and TravelnLass who I think are also relative newcomers.

It’s not compulsory to add shooting info and most people don’t, so don’t feel you have to.
    Personally I always appreciate knowing a little more on technical shots.

Hope to see more of your photos going forward.
    Alan.
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2012
    For consideration

533237447_dQtKL-XL.jpg

533243370_p2tGU-XL.jpg

DSC8547-XL.jpg
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2012
    DsrtVW wrote: »
    533243370_p2tGU-Th.jpg

DsrtVW,
    Love this!
    Am I correct that it is HDR and the blades are from the multiple shots? If so, great idea!
  • Options
    SyncopationSyncopation Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2012
    Lift Off
    CA10131220281253-L.jpg
    Syncopation

The virtue of the camera is not the power it has to transform the photographer into an artist, but the impulse it gives him to keep on looking. - Brook Atkinson- 1951
  • Options
    TravelnLassTravelnLass Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited October 13, 2012
    Hi superduckz,

I feel a bit of a fraud being such a newbie myself, but just thought I’d say “welcome”… and also to AlxCar and TravelnLass who I think are also relative newcomers.
    Alan.

Yes, yes, big WELCOME superduckz (and mighty nice entries!)

And thanks too, to Alan for the welcome - but of course after the confounding "thumbnail" fiasco, why I feel that we've been pals since childhood. ;)

Truly some stunning entries here - I'm humbled to be mingling among such remarkable talent!
    "I am not the same, having seen the moon rise on the other side of the world."
    TravelnLass.com
  • Options
    TybradTybrad Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited October 13, 2012
    1. StormRunner launch
    _DSC8865.jpg

2. Gravitron In Motion
    DSC_8185.jpg

3. Hot summer's eve fun.
    DSC_6655.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2012
    I love the enthusiasm on this round and there are some really great pictures from everyone, but just a gentle reminder – as I’ve previously said in this thread, if you submit more than 3 images as allowed by the rules of the competition, then I’ll only consider the first three.

The rules are listed in the first posting on this thread – sorry, I didn’t make the rules.

Alan. (Judge)
  • Options
    TybradTybrad Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited October 13, 2012
    Sorry- missed the limit. Fixed.
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2012
    Tybrad wrote: »
    Sorry- missed the limit. Fixed.

No Worries,

Alan

PS – Nice shots.
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2012
    For consideration

533237447_dQtKL-S.jpg

I’m intrigued by this shot, any chance of some more detail on how?

Alan
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2012
    dnie wrote: »
    DsrtVW,
    Love this!
    Am I correct that it is HDR and the blades are from the multiple shots? If so, great idea!

This was done with the in Camera Multiple shots Nikon D300 I was not going for HDR but trying to capture motion on early DSS challenge. I cant remember but I am pretty sure it was all the same exposure 4 frames combined and punched up contrast and saturation
    Chris K. NANPA Member
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2012
    533237447_dQtKL-S.jpg

I’m intrigued by this shot, any chance of some more detail on how?

Alan

Long shutter 4/10 with added flash I believe rear curtain
    Chris K. NANPA Member
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2012
    ==========================
    COMPETITION CLOSED

This mini challenge is now closed.
    I'll hopefully post results tomorrow evening (UK).

Yikes, this is going to be easy (not).

Alan
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2012
    This was done with the in Camera Multiple shots Nikon D300 I was not going for HDR but trying to capture motion on early DSS challenge. I cant remember but I am pretty sure it was all the same exposure 4 frames combined and punched up contrast and saturation

Thanks, I just found those blades interesting.
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2012
    COMPETITION RESULTS

I've posted the results here ....

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=227895

Alan