Options

Extremely rare Mercedes-Benz W-194

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited October 10, 2012 in Other Cool Shots
You're looking at a 1952 Mercedes-Benz W-194....one of only two that reside outside of the Mercedes corporate museum.

This car was completed in 1952 exclusively to race at the famous Le Mans venue. It won the race, becoming the very first German car to do so. For the following Nurburgring race, it was reconfigured by Mercedes into a roadster ( convertible ) and it, again, won the race. After serving as a PR car for the Carrera Panamerica race in Mexico, this car was then returned to Stuttgart, converted to a 300 SL " Gullwing " and given to a director of Mercedes for use as a personal car.

The current owner sent this car to the Mercedes-Benz Classic Center and had it restored back to its original W-194 configuration, as seen in this photo. You are seeing the car as it was when it won at Le Mans.

Amelia-Show-1-2012-159-X2.jpg

Amelia-Show-1-2012-161-X2.jpg

Amelia-Show-1-2012-166-X2.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2012
    Niiice.....
    Rags
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2012
    Sweet!

Those leather straps on the hood just kill me rolleyes1.gif
    Randy
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2012
    Another fun history lesson..... with pictures too! thumb.gif
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2012
    torags wrote: »
    Niiice.....

Absolutely !!

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2012
    rwells wrote: »
    Sweet!

Those leather straps on the hood just kill me rolleyes1.gif

I imagine the last thing the driver ever wanted to see was his hood fly up....especially at 150 MPH +. It took a lot of guts to get in and race cars of this era, regardless of who made them. Real safety features were practically non-existent.

Tom
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2012
    Earache wrote: »
    Another fun history lesson..... with pictures too! thumb.gif

I tell you, Eric, you've got to get to one of these real high-end shows, like this one. You'll be blown away.

See ya,

Tom
  • Options
    lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2012
    No fenders ? It looks aerodynamically designed well,but hard to fix if it were in a wreck. Nice presentation, I always enjoy the history you provide of these rare cars. Thanks Tom !
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2012
    lensmole wrote: »
    No fenders ? It looks aerodynamically designed well,but hard to fix if it were in a wreck. Nice presentation, I always enjoy the history you provide of these rare cars. Thanks Tom !

Thanks for the visit.

For those folks who have more than a casual interest in cars, I figure it's worth it to post some of the history of the car, if I happen to know it myself. This seems to be especially meaningful if I'm talking about race cars, as their documented racing provenance can have such a dramatic impact on their value on the collector market. The more I can tell you....concisely, I hope....may increase your enjoyment of the pictures.

Tom
  • Options
    eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2012
    Wow! Want!
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2012
    eL eSs Vee wrote: »
    Wow! Want!

Me too !!

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    RolfRolf Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited October 8, 2012
    Thank you for this.
  • Options
    jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2012
    Lovely lovely car... I remember Stuttgart releasing one (I'm pretty sure it was one of these) from the museum for an ex pro driver of vintage (have to remember who it was now... but he did a lot of racing for Mercedes in the past)

Drove it at the Arosa hill climb (here in Switzerland) and managed to understeer off the road and push the front quarter in - hate to think what the repair bill was mwink.gif

edit: woops it was actually the Mercedes 300 SLR... but another year there was a Merc like the one in your photos that did stave in front quarter... hmmm going to have to go back through my photos now :)

here's a 300 SL going up that hill - cockpit view - figured you might like it if you like these cars
    http://youtu.be/kE1bA4gAFsw
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2012
    Rolf wrote: »
    Thank you for this.

You bet. Thanks for the visit.

Tom
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2012
    jasonstone wrote: »
    Lovely lovely car... I remember Stuttgart releasing one (I'm pretty sure it was one of these) from the museum for an ex pro driver of vintage (have to remember who it was now... but he did a lot of racing for Mercedes in the past)

Drove it at the Arosa hill climb (here in Switzerland) and managed to understeer off the road and push the front quarter in - hate to think what the repair bill was mwink.gif

edit: woops it was actually the Mercedes 300 SLR... but another year there was a Merc like the one in your photos that did stave in front quarter... hmmm going to have to go back through my photos now :)

here's a 300 SL going up that hill - cockpit view - figured you might like it if you like these cars
    http://youtu.be/kE1bA4gAFsw

Thanks, Jase, for including the link to the video. It's a great one. I really enjoyed seeing it.

Tom
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,417 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2012
    Very nice, Tom, very nice! I love your photos, and I always appreciate the little history lesson that goes along with them.
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2012
    moose135 wrote: »
    Very nice, Tom, very nice! I love your photos, and I always appreciate the little history lesson that goes along with them.

Thanks for looking in, John. I really appreciate the kind words.

Tom