Pumpkin Spider

ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
edited November 29, 2005 in Holy Macro
We were doing the Cade's Cove loop when we found this big guy. My wife made the comment "Everything is orange in Tennessee!"

44013235-L.jpg

Some sort of an Orb Weaver, I think. Not really a macro, it was huge!
Chris

Comments

• Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2005
    Wow, I would hate to run into one of those! I also wouldn't want to step on it...it would probably make a mess.uhoh2.gif Nice photo.
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2005
    Hate to say it
    ....but it is a actractive looking spider....and I hate spiders!
    Too creepy for me!:wow

It does look to be a Marbled Orb Weaver.
    According to my field guide they lay Orange eggs in the fall.
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2005
    What an amazing spider- well captured!
    Brian V.
  • Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2005
    Great picthumb.gif

I've never heard of or seen one like that. It looks like it's carrying a mushroom on it's back.

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2005
    Thanks for the comments, everyone. He was really pretty to look at. He was also on the move... there was one woman there who was taking a picture (well, trying to) from about 5 ft away and it started crawling right at her foot, and she sprang backwards. Too funny.

Orange eggs! Nice... they probably get confused with the chocolate ones at Easter time. :-)

Cheers!
    Chris
  • DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2005
    I'm deathly afraid of spiders, very arachnaphobic. But even I have to say that looks cool!
    Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2005
    He's a Fatty
    95Mcaj wrote:
    We were doing the Cade's Cove loop when we found this big guy. My wife made the comment "Everything is orange in Tennessee!"
    Love the colour of this spider, almost looks like Marbel doesn't it.
    Send him over to my place when your finished with him ...... I wanna take some photos of him too rolleyes1.gif and I'll come and visit you in jail when the Customs Officers get ya for posting it hehehe rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for the post.........he's a beauty ...... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited November 22, 2005
    Thanks DRT and Skippy! Unfortunately (or thankfully?), spidey is all the way across the country now (in Tennessee), so I couldn't mail him anyway! :cry
    Chris
  • lulalakelulalake Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited November 25, 2005
    95Mcaj wrote:
    Speaking of Cades Cove, I spend as much time there as possible which amounts to about once a year. (never enough time)

Here it is:
  • Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2005
    Wow, that thing looks huge. Very cool looking spider indeed. Nicely captured. Thanks for sharing!
    edited November 28, 2005
    Thanks, Phil!

Here's a shot of the colors this year from the Cove, lulalake:

44010703-L.jpg

Our family has a reunion in Gatlinburg every year... but now that I'm on the west coast, we only get out there every other year.
    Chris
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2005
    Awesome spider! We don't get such things around here - just the usual black ones. Even though I'm not much a fan of those, I like to capture them every once in a while when I see them.

Thanks for sharing,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero