Options

Lighting setup for studio and portable

MGRPhotoMGRPhoto Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
edited October 11, 2012 in Accessories
So I've been trying to figure out what to do about a backdrop and some umbrellas/stands or lightboxes. I don't use lighting that often so I don't want to go crazy on cost but I'd like a setup I could use both in studio and portable. Most of the kits I see like this get mixed reviews and also come with bulbs on the stands where I'd rather be able to use my Nikon speedlights. I currently only have two SB600's, no stands, no backdrops, no umbrella reflectors and no softboxes... I'd like to be able to utilize my flash units though.

Can anyone make some recommendations?

Comments

• Options
    ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2012
    You get what you pay for with lights. Or anything else for that matter with camera gear. You already have 2 great lights. SB600s are fantastic. You can get yourself some light stands with umbrella adapters for you flashes and build from there. Get a 60" and a 24" umbrella and go crazy. Save up another $400 and pick up an SB 900 to get some more control of the 600s and get another flash. You can light a lot with that setup.

You will also learn about speedlights, CLS, light modifiers, position..........the list goes on. It is also completely portable. With the continuous light setup like that you will learn that you just want more power, and you will want something more. But with any light equipment that is always the case. You always want more! I think it is worse than camera gear.
  • Options
    jhofkerjhofker Registered Users Posts: 136 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2012
    Your SB600's are great lights. If you want full-manual lights, pick up a Yongnuo or two.

I have this background stand - I've been nothing but happy with it. It has its own case, so it's plenty portable. And then I have a couple "diamond cloth" backdrops from Backdropoutlet.

These umbrella+stand combos are pretty nice. They're cheap and get the job done, and I haven't managed to break them yet despite taking them everywhere.

That's my default, always-in-my-car portable studio (plus my lights, triggers, and stuff). But these links should get you started. :-)
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2012
    MGRPhoto wrote: »
    So I've been trying to figure out what to do about a backdrop and some umbrellas/stands or lightboxes. I don't use lighting that often so I don't want to go crazy on cost but I'd like a setup I could use both in studio and portable. Most of the kits I see like this get mixed reviews and also come with bulbs on the stands where I'd rather be able to use my Nikon speedlights. I currently only have two SB600's, no stands, no backdrops, no umbrella reflectors and no softboxes... I'd like to be able to utilize my flash units though.

Can anyone make some recommendations?

This is easy. Go to B&H or Adorama and put flash lighting and accessories into the search box. Read reviews and ask questions if needed. or Grip for stands.

Umbrella's and Soft-boxes are both terrific and can be used interchangeably, with Soft-boxes being more directional typically. Umbrellas become lovely wings/airfoils outside. If there is any Wind, forget it unless you have a person on the stand to hold it. If the gusts go to 5mph and up it may not be usable. Photoflex makes an umbrella called the Softlighter and it is a nice versatile piece.

Stands come in many flavors and styles. Cheaper is Cheaper. Matthews, Manfroto, Mole-RIchardson are some of the better names. Speedlights don't really require tougher or heavier stands. Heavier stands tend to hold up better to time/use.

Sandbags. Plan on buying a set of sand bags. That'll help keep things where you put them.

SB600. Love that flash, buy a couple more of them if you can find them. Get an SB900 or used SB800 to trigger the SB600's and you'll be set for Nikon CLS. Which works wonderfully indoors.
    tom wise
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2012
    I don't see www.strobist.com mentioned yet - that's your go-to place to starat researching just what can be done with speedlights.

I use my Canon speedlights for everything. My shooting space at home is small, and full-size lights would not only be overkill but would just physically take up too much space; speedlights are plenty powerful for my needs. And, of course, portable! Invest in a stack of good rechargeable batteries and a high-end charger (eg Maha or LaCrosse) and you're good to go.

Yes, sandbags. Especially outdoors!!!! Or, just as effective, I use budget ankle weights from Walmart... And if you're going on location, you can take empty bags (or milk cartons) and fill them with dirt or water when you get where you're going so you don't have to carry the actual weight.

But definitely check out strobist - it will definitely answer many (if not most) of your initial questions. thumb.gif
  • Options
    MGRPhotoMGRPhoto Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited October 9, 2012
    Thanks for the replies. Lots of useful information here. I ordered some cheap stuff from Amazon (fully understanding I'll probably upgrade in the near future) and I'll start playing around. I have a decent space in my basement and for short term use I needed a better setup than my small lightbox for some product photography. When I start getting more formally into people/pets/cars I'll start upgrading and definitely pick up some sandbags.
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2012
    Voice of experience here: Sandbags are way mo' cheepa than speedlights and softboxes. Just sayin' . . . :D
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.