Options

Kayaking in Saimaa, Finland.

HurmeHurme Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
edited November 10, 2012 in Journeys
I used to kayak some odd 10 years ago. This summer I made my return and went for kayaking trip with my father (in the first pic) and four other people. The route was 162 km and we spend seven days kayaking it. Shortest day trip was 8 km and longest 36 km with a rather slow pace overall.

Best part was the weather and the national park of Kolovesi where using motor powered boats is not permitted at all. So totalyl quiet except for us and the wind.

I was bit iffy about taking my DSLR with me in a kayak where tipping over would mean instantly loosing it. But then again, no risk means no photos. I mostly used 16-35 2.8L and 70-200 2.8L during the trip.
i-D8wVNtW-XL.jpg

i-nwpjcCJ-XL.jpg

The image below was pretty fun. We came to large reedy area. Because we're quite low while sitting in kayaks we had no idea how far it would reach. I went ahead to scout and finally after 200 meters or so I got off the kayak and stood on a stone to see how far we would have to go. Turned out I was around halfway and we had yet another 200 m to go.

i-cGvZTVr-XL.jpg

One of our camping spots as seen from a hill I climbed to.

i-qb8CK5D-XL.jpg

i-MTfkBCf-XL.jpg

View from a cavern that seemed to have been a hot spot during stone age.

i-V4xXZX3-XL.jpg

i-wsQ344F-XL.jpg

i-V8b6jCZ-XL.jpg

i-xTxxM6m-XL.jpg

i-8pW2QcB-XL.jpg

Me doing an eskimo roll during the second last day. Photo by my father.

i-nbvLsCf-XL.jpg

i-NGBMC8T-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2012
    Wow! just gorgeous scenery! I love the one of the three kayakers coming toward the camera, and the eskimo roll!
    It reminds me of a 4-day trip I took once a long time ago up around the Prince Edward Sound, AK... except the cliff sides may have been a bit steeper.
    edited October 18, 2012
    red_zone wrote: »
    Wow! just gorgeous scenery! I love the one of the three kayakers coming toward the camera, and the eskimo roll!
    It reminds me of a 4-day trip I took once a long time ago up around the Prince Edward Sound, AK... except the cliff sides may have been a bit steeper.

Yeah. If there's something I'd change about Finland it's how flat this country is. A couple of mountains would do wonders here.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2012
    wow ... what a great set ... ...
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    RevLinePhotoRevLinePhoto Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2012
    love the shot with the kayaker framed by the trees #9 I believe great perspective.
    BMW Tech
    Live life to its fullest you never know whats in your future.
    WWW.REVLINEPHOTO.COM
  • Options
    HurmeHurme Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited October 29, 2012
    Thanks for the comments. We indeed had some nice weather with some slight rain on the first two days and nothing but sunshine after that. I find photographing from kayak being very interesting. You move quietly so animals will often let you come close, although sometimes it seems they're more cautious of the kayaks for the same reason. The point of view is also very close to water compared to boats when taking photographs.
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2012
    Hurme wrote: »
    i-V8b6jCZ-XL.jpg
    I love this one for the simple fact it looks like the Grinch Who Stole Christmas is being photographed by you and the kayak pilot.

Grinch-Cartoon.jpg
  • Options
    choudhrysaabchoudhrysaab Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2012
    i've always been told to never center the horizon but sometimes it works so well, just like #2 and #10 shot. Superb!