Cast iron and starry skys

Midknightc3Midknightc3 Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
edited October 10, 2012 in Journeys
This last weekend some friends and I finally had a non-work night off all at the same time, so we agreed it was time to camp! But I'll start with the night before, when my girlfriend and I went up on cross hill for a picnic dinner and some time enjoying the night lights of Prescott.
i-M96DPhR-L.jpg

i-9R6NVVp-L.jpg

It had been ages and ages since we had done anything with just the two of us, so even though it was short it was really nice to just sit there and stare at the stars and the headlights below. We took the dog along and though I wasn't able to get a photo of it, he spent a lot of time just sitting on the edge of the hill staring at town
i-5Kttf5n-L.jpg

The next night we packed up the 4Runner and my friend James, girl friend, and a couple in another truck headed out to camp at a hidden canyon site I'v been in love with since I was a little kid.
i-8vmRF4N-L.jpg

We had a feast of chili, cornbread, and peach cobbler planned for dinner, all cooked in cast iron over the fire, so first order of business was to get the fire going...
i-xPTsfTr-L.jpg

Once the fire was going strong and building up a nice bed of coals, we started working on setting up the rest of camp. First up was getting the dutch ovens out of the way so we could get to everything else
i-bwtFQDD-L.jpg

Then everything else came out. Rex and his wife even brought candles for their chairs!
i-76rPnxR-L.jpg

Not too long after we set camp, the sun set and we had enough coals to start cooking. We put together a tripod to hang the chili from and I got down to the tough job of sipping whisky
i-v4BK8LK-L.jpg

Ustadza even poured herself a glass of water and whisky while we waited on the chili to cook
i-5mWTXcd-L.jpg

When the chili had about half an hour left, i made a bed of coals for the corn bread and piled some more on top
i-3jkcSsc-L.jpg

After dinner I sipped another glass of Johnny Walker and stared at the stars before Ustadza and I climbed into our roof rack sweet atop the 4Runner and had some of the best sleep I'v ever had in months
i-WW7sdnV-L.jpg

The next morning we had a leisurely start, with James staying in bed as long as he could, so the rest of us just hung out around camp and drank coffee before starting breakfast
i-HXqHfw9-L.jpg

While waiting for James to return to the world of the living I played with the camera a little to see what I could shoot around camp
i-wGdX6C7-L.jpg

I take this Kelly Kettle with me pretty much everywhere I go, including all the way to Ushuaia on a motorcycle. It's fantastic, the windier it is the more efficient it becomes, and all I need to boil 2qts of water is a single large pinecone (or anything else flammable of course)
i-dqZh8Nv-L.jpg

James finally came out of his coma, so we got started on breakfast, including the peach cobbler we had decided to skip the night before
i-dVztMrm-L.jpg

Belly's full Rex and his wife Carrie headed home, and James, Ustadza, the two mongrels and I went for a little stroll to explore a side canyon and spring. It was a pretty steep climb from the road down into the canyon!
i-P97kgmg-L.jpg

But it was well worth the walk as the spring at the bottom was beautifully green and cool, which we were all quite happy to take advantage of!
i-nQ58vQ5-L.jpg

i-nfKqkwC-L.jpg

And there were flutterby's EVERYWHERE!
i-rsZwtKq-L.jpg

i-jD6xdtL-L.jpg

Sadly, I had to work Saturday night, so as the day wore on it was time to come home and get down to business
i-729BMrF-L.jpg
I recommend wearing trashcans on your heads to avoid any accidental exposure to knowledge - Dogbert

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited October 9, 2012
    Sounds like a wonderful trip. Made better by Toyota :D

Which RTT are you using?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Midknightc3Midknightc3 Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited October 10, 2012
    ian408 wrote: »
    Sounds like a wonderful trip. Made better by Toyota :D

Which RTT are you using?

I actually don't own a RTT. If a tent is required I just use my standard backpacking tent. If a tent isn't required then I just roll out the mattress and sleeping bag straight on the roof rack and sleep under the stars. Someday maybe I'll have a RTT, but for now I sleep quite well with out one and have always been a fan of no tent.

Clark
    I recommend wearing trashcans on your heads to avoid any accidental exposure to knowledge - Dogbert
    edited October 10, 2012
    OK. Just sounded like the RTT was what you were using.

I like the idea but have to admit, it's a whole lot easier to use a backpacking tent.
  • Midknightc3Midknightc3 Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited October 10, 2012
    Agreed! It would be nice to have all my bedding ready to go and all I have to do is fold out the floor and go to sleep...but thats a decent amount of weight, a whole lot of MPG killing wind resistance, and a really big price tag to save me 5min of work. If I were to get a RTT I'm pretty sure I'd pick up one of the AutoHome Maggiolina's, they are a lot more aerodynamic for the majority of their life going down the highway.

Clark
    edited October 10, 2012
    To be honest, if you're going that route, even an "off-road" capable trailer would be a better choice. Something like a Tab for example. With a R&P hitch and an axle & tires matching your rig, you can practically go anywhere. Viva Overland travel!
  • red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2012
    Thanks for sharing, the dutch oven cooking reminds me of the scouting trips I used to take when I lived out west, and the rest of the 4wd trips we'd go on occasionally with my family. Great sense of place and wonderful that you've figured a great way to make the outdoors super accessible.