edited October 10, 2012 in Street and Documentary
ZoeyInBrookline20120339BW-XL.jpg
bd@bdcolenphoto.com
"He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed

Comments

• MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2012
    Love the image-- she's obviously playing her own game with indulgent dad or whomever.

The title, not so much.
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2012
    Jesus, Mark, get over the damn titles. There wouldn't be any titles if people here didn't demand them for some inane reason. Call it UNTITLED. Okay? Does that work for you?
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2012
    Wow. Sorry. Jeez.

You're title in dgrin led me to think I was going to look at "a weird moment." Because that's the title you chose. I looked, couldn't find a particularly weird moment, re-evaluated the picture, decided it was pretty nice except for the title, and then did my poor best to critique based on that experience.

From now on I'll just refrain from commenting.
    edited October 9, 2012
    MarkR wrote: »
    Wow. Sorry. Jeez.

You're title in dgrin led me to think I was going to look at "a weird moment." Because that's the title you chose. I looked, couldn't find a particularly weird moment, re-evaluated the picture, decided it was pretty nice except for the title, and then did my poor best to critique based on that experience.

From now on I'll just refrain from commenting.

That's your choice. I had made it quite clear just a few minutes earlier that I find titles utterly pointless.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2012
    Can we agree on a new convention, please: Titles of threads are to assist in finding threads when searching for something and should be written as such. In the future, if you want the image itself to have a title and be considered part of the critique or discussion, put it inside the post above the shot in question. [Disclosure: I too sometimes have a hard time dissociating thread titles from the image posts. But, let's not go down this path anymore.]

I like the shot, but I feel it's technically slightly flat. It might use a little brightening? But maybe I've become too inured to high contrast stuff.

As to what's weird or not, all I can do is repeat B.D. Horses for courses.
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2012
    bdcolen wrote: »
    Jesus, Mark, get over the damn titles. There wouldn't be any titles if people here didn't demand them for some inane reason. Call it UNTITLED. Okay? Does that work for you?

Just today, in another thread, you referred to other forum participants and their comments as "pendantic" - so much so that you became fed-up with such and quit participating, for a while.

I believe it's gut-check time Mr. Colen.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2012
    A wonderful image ,but I would have preferred both subjects in sharp focus.
  • damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2012
    The shot is totally gorgeous, if for no other reason than the rope that pulls us to the bottom of the frame.
  • RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2012
    + This is my favorite one. The look on the mans face is just priceless. I know that feeling. That's the look of a man wore down by a high-energy little girl. The glasses on the tip of the nose totally sell it. He seems completely disheveled.
    + Enough details in the environment left to help put it in a place, but not distracting at all from the main focus.
    - Agree that a tad more sharpness on the girl would help, but technically I'm sure that would have been a challenge.
    - I think this is a real nit, but is there any more detail left in the little girl's shirt in that bright spot?

Hurray. I am done! I commented on all your images. I really hope it was meaningful rather than useless drivel. I hope you'll post lots and lots more.
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
    Website | Galleries | Utah PJs
    edited October 10, 2012
    Earache wrote: »
    Just today, in another thread, you referred to other forum participants and their comments as "pendantic" - so much so that you became fed-up with such and quit participating, for a while.

I believe it's gut-check time Mr. Colen.

Or, Eric, it could rereading time: I was referring to this forum, in which I have been participating far longer thank you have, I believe. mwink.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2012
    bdcolen wrote: »
    Or, Eric, it could rereading time: I was referring to this forum, in which I have been participating far longer thank you have, I believe. mwink.gif

Hehehe... that bd is a feisty old dog.... :D
    Rags
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2012
    I, of course, knew who you were referring to - anyone else but you (other participants, not other forums). It took some work to misconstrue my comment for arguments sake.
    I knew it just a matter of time before the "you don't belong here" claws came out...... I haven't heard that one since I joined the treehouse club in my neighborhood.

So, lurkers, newbies, and potential posters take note - this is what happens when you dare challenge the status quo in Documentary.
    It's unfortunate (and frequently mentioned by regular posters) that this forum has become more about egos and minutiae than photography.
    However, it does make for great lurking!
    All right, I'll shut-up and drag my sorry, low-post-count butt back to OCS.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
    edited October 10, 2012
    Earache wrote: »
    I, of course, knew who you were referring to - anyone else but you (other participants, not other forums). It took some work to misconstrue my comment for arguments sake.
    I knew it just a matter of time before the "you don't belong here" claws came out...... I haven't heard that one since I joined the treehouse club in my neighborhood.

So, lurkers, newbies, and potential posters take note - this is what happens when you dare challenge the status quo in Documentary.
    It's unfortunate (and frequently mentioned by regular posters) that this forum has become more about egos and minutiae than photography.
    However, it does make for great lurking!
    All right, I'll shut-up and drag my sorry, low-post-count butt back to OCS.

You didn't "challenge the status quo," you simply made a silly comment. Challenge all you like.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com