Marykate (comments welcome)

cybercrypt13cybercrypt13 Registered Users Posts: 234 Major grins
edited November 20, 2005 in People
Took this yesterday with my 50mm lens. She's rather difficult to take pictures of because she hates it, but every now and then I catch her off guard.. :-)

45312361-L-0.jpg
--

glenn hancock
http://www.gshutter.com

Comments

• DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2005
    Glenn, I like it but I'd like to see it with a bit more contrast. The blown areas on the right don't bother me at all, though I'm sure some folks wouldn't care for that. But to me her face is washed out and it needs something.
  • cybercrypt13cybercrypt13 Registered Users Posts: 234 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2005
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Glenn, I like it but I'd like to see it with a bit more contrast. The blown areas on the right don't bother me at all, though I'm sure some folks wouldn't care for that. But to me her face is washed out and it needs something.
    Yes I agree, however, I don't know what I can do about it because she has very pale skin to begin with. Here is a sepia of the same shot. Let me know if this works better for you. I also up'd the contrast as much as possible but as you can see it didn't really make that much difference to the overall shot..

45261235-L-0.jpg
    Let me know,

glenn
    --

glenn hancock
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2005
    Yes I agree, however, I don't know what I can do about it because she has very pale skin to begin with. Here is a sepia of the same shot. Let me know if this works better for you. I also up'd the contrast as much as possible but as you can see it didn't really make that much difference to the overall shot..
    Let me know,

glenn
    Glen I tried playing with your shot a little for fun. If you have photoshop try adding a new layer change from "normal" to "multiply- reduce the transparency til you like it then play with the lightness/contrast a bit.. see if you like it..
    edited November 20, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    Glen I tried playing with your shot a little for fun. If you have photoshop try adding a new layer change from "normal" to "multiply- reduce the transparency til you like it then play with the lightness/contrast a bit.. see if you like it..
    Thanks for the work. I actually already have a layer like that on my image but it seemed that the only way I could get much more contrast was to actually darken the whole image and I just couldn't get anything that struck me as much better than the original. I will play around with it a little more and see what I can work out though...

Thanks,
    --

glenn hancock
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2005
    Thanks for the work. I actually already have a layer like that on my image but it seemed that the only way I could get much more contrast was to actually darken the whole image and I just couldn't get anything that struck me as much better than the original. I will play around with it a little more and see what I can work out though...

Thanks,
    you well may be right... I look forward to seeing what you do...thumb.gif
  • mereimagemereimage Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2005
    Chech out rutts synopsis of portrait-LAB work in software forum
    Here is a quick redo using this tech. This was done on a low res copy I took from here so there is some posterization, but you can get an idea of what can be done:

45309326-L.jpg

...............................Mereimage
    edited November 20, 2005
    Ok,

I've redone the original image with as much contrast as I can personally figure out. I've tried a number of different things but if I get too much more contrast the image just gets too dark for my taste, or gets too splotchy...

So what do you think about this one?

P.S. I didn't mean to change the initial image but I inadvertantly deleted the original image from my section and didn't mean to...

Thanks,
    --

glenn hancock
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2005
    Glenn, that's more like what I had in mind. Took me a minute to realize that the first image had changed to reflect the changes, but now I see it! Before I saw your latest post, I grabbed a copy and screwed around with it a bit - I think you'll see that our versions are quite similar.

Here's original

45318969-M.jpg

and altered

45318890-M.jpg

I didn't spend much time on it, I'm sure the skin tone could be better but I was just trying to show the change in the "washed out-ness". This is all subjective of course, there's nothing "wrong" with the original and you've captured a nice expression on her face. It's too bad she doesn't like cameras, she's a photogenic young lady.
    edited November 20, 2005
    Thanks, yes, she is very pretty. She doesn't think so but you know how that goes. Thanks for the examples too. I think my latest version is much closer now. Thanks for the suggestions... I'm sorry I deleted the original as it takes away from the thread a little but you at least got a copy...

Thanks,
    --

glenn hancock