Emma

jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
edited October 23, 2012 in People
Her top 5 picks from our senior portrait session. No retouching yet. C&C welcome.

5D35755-X2.jpg

5D35775-X2.jpg

5D35805-X2.jpg

5D35815-X2.jpg

5 - this session was a two-fer with her BFF Kelsey
5D35856-X2.jpg
-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

Comments

• jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2012
    my picks
    5D35746-X2.jpg

5D35786-X2.jpg

5D35760-X2.jpg

5D35752-X2.jpg

5D35821-X2.jpg
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
    edited October 16, 2012
    Nothing?
    -Jack

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2012
    I loved this set (I thought I had already replied!) 1&9 are my favorites; I like 10, but I'd crop some to lose the edges of the building/window frame.

I'd probably brighten them up just a tad and maybe add a little more post-processing love, but they're very sweet of a pretty young lady. thumb.gif
    edited October 16, 2012
    Thanks! Yeah I was a little bummed she didn't pick 9 as a finalist. I think it's fun and she grew up with the swing in her backyard.

These haven't been PP'd yet, by the way.
    -Jack

• zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2012
    It is kind of tough to comment on photos when you say they aren't processed. Looks there is some good potential there...
  • WerewolfWerewolf Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited October 17, 2012
    Technically the shots are good. Composition, color, all good.

This is very difficult to say and being relatively new here I'm not sure this type of criticism is appropriate or appreciated but here goes.

With the exception of #5 in the 1st post the shots have no soul. Contrived. Posed. The emotion in the shots seems forced and is not what the subject is really feeling.
  • FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2012
    Werewolf wrote: »

This is very difficult to say and being relatively new here I'm not sure this type of criticism is appropriate or appreciated but here goes.

With the exception of #5 in the 1st post the shots have no soul. Contrived. Posed. The emotion in the shots seems forced and is not what the subject is really feeling.

phew.. i'm not the only one who felt that way.
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
    edited October 17, 2012
    Werewolf wrote: »

I see what you're saying, but I think my choices in the 2nd post have more soul. Certainly the ones on the tire swing, and I think 7 is a little "come hither" and 10 has a little attitude. As you can see from the client's picks, her taste was fairly conservative or traditional, and it came through.

May I see some examples of your senior portraits with soul? I'd love to learn.
    -Jack

• zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2012
    4 5 6 8 9 have soul.
    It is hard to get the natural personality in every shot...some are going to look posed/unatural.
  • red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2012
    zoomer - you listed all the photos where she shows teeth with the smile, and none of the closed lips smile!

I think the closed lips smile is what makes some of those shots look MORE posed/contrived than others. That said - all portrait photography looks posed to some extent, because...well... it IS.

For what it's worth my favorites are 5,6,8, and 10... but the one the smile looks most genuine on (and therefore the best picture, in my opinion) is 5.

May I see some examples of your senior portraits with soul? I'd love to learn.

I'd be happy to show some examples of shots I believe have what I call soul.

That said: In replying I see that dgrin is set to allow only one upload per/response. I chose 4 shots. Is there a place here I can upload all 4 at once or do I need to do it one at a time?
    edited October 20, 2012
    You'll need to host the pics somewhere else, like in your smugmug account or flickr account, etc, and then embed them in a post using the insertimage.gif button. If you don't have anywhere to host your pics, you can use tinypic.com.
    -Jack

edited October 20, 2012
    May I see some examples of your senior portraits with soul? I'd love to learn...

You'll need to host the pics somewhere else, like in your smugmug account or flickr account, etc, and then embed them in a post using the insertimage.gif button. If you don't have anywhere to host your pics, you can use tinypic.com.
    OK - here's 4 shots that I would say have "soul". I'm no pro - ummm... experienced amateur at best. I mostly do landscapes at which I'm not terribly good but love doing and - kids. I do kids because my friends, grown daughters and the occasional friend of a friend ask me to. When doing children I never pose them - ever. Especially young kids. I just turn 'em loose and follow 'em around. I used to do formal portraiture of adults when I was in the army as a favor to friends and to make the occasional buck. It wasn't fun except on the rare occasion when I could connect with the subject - critical in my opinion - and that didn't happen often.

So here's the 4. Don't know if you can learn anything from them but who knows. You won't hurt my feelings if you turn around and critique 'em as I did yours.

URL is to a flickr photostream. If there's a better way to show those here using flickr i'd appreciate knowing how. I don't usually go public.

Click the older button next to the 1st photo you'll see on the opening page to move thru all 4 shots.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ww1326/8106823255/in/photostream/

Feel free to comment here or on Flickr....
    edited October 21, 2012
    Thanks. Those are nice shots, but they're not really relevant as they are not senior portraits. Kids are relatively easy because they are so active and would much rather play, and then you can get some great shots. Try meeting a shy 18 year old young lady for the first time, who takes you into her back yard and stands there and says "ok what do we do?" and get back to me. It's a challenge which has nothing to do with your ability to operate a camera. I would be better at senior portraits if I were also a stand-up comedian, but I'm not. Anyway, the family is happy with the photos, so I'm happy.
    -Jack

edited October 21, 2012
    Anyway, the family is happy with the photos, so I'm happy.

Which in the final analysis is what counts.
  • beebibibeebibi Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited October 22, 2012
    Not an easy shoot but you did well - my favorites # 4 and # 7 full of sweetness and more relaxed. Not processed yet? Great....

Best, Bee
    Cheers, Bee
  • coolpinskycoolpinsky Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2012
    I like no 5 - with two girls - have more light
    edited October 23, 2012
    Thanks!
    -Jack