What the heck are sporophytes?

Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
edited October 12, 2012 in Holy Macro
Another sort of, semi-project I've had in the works is to photograph sporophytes. They are the spore pods of moss (part of the plant's reproductive cycle) and until I started noticing them, I had no idea that they differed so much from moss species to species. I know...I'm really weird, but photographing them is way more challenging than I first imagined. A lot of you guys shoot stuff that moves and strangely so do I, but it's the light that moves, not the subject. Anyway...make way for the sporophytes!

1 - with (I think) a bonus stone fly
KristenSmithAugust-09-L.jpg

2 - Mahna Mahna, do do do do do
KristenSmithJuly-14-L.jpg

3 - Panic at the Disco
KristenSmithMay-02-L.jpg

4 - Hats Off!
6859420764_72c8623da0_c.jpg

5 - Spatulate sporophytes
6930749712_464741a78d_z.jpg

and last but not least,
6 - Snakey sporophytes
7076916775_59374a8fb6_z.jpg

All shot with my old Olympus 90mm macro and natural light (duh). Not sure if anyone else finds these little guys weirdly intriguing...like visiting aliens, but I thought I'd throw them out there even though they're not bugs or dewdrops. :dunno

Comments

• IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2012
    Really nice set of images. They make a very cool micro landscape. I photographed some moss sporophytes last year I think with a tiny little spider on them. Think the spider was about 2mm in size.
  • Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2012
    hey thanks. Funny about the spider. I mostly don't notice the tiny ones until post. Then it's like a surprise.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2012
    Very cool.....I tried to look at your exif and it was not there...would you mind post the exif for us.
    This interesting and I am trying to decide on which Macro lens I want...I have a manual focus 105 but
    want to get an AF one.........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2012
    Lovely shots- interesting subjects.
    Brian v.
    edited October 12, 2012
    Thanks Art and Brian.

Mine is an oldie, Art, and not autofocus. It's an 80s vintage (I assume) Olympus 90mm f2 macro. I coveted one back in the 80s when I worked in camera retail, but couldn't afford one. Almost 20 years later I could and it gets way more use on the digital body than it ever did on the film bodies. It probably doesn't perform all that differently from your 105 (is that the old AI lens? I coveted that, too.). It is one amazing piece of glass though and sharper than I probably do it justice.
  • DeVilDeVil Registered Users Posts: 1,037 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2012
    Lovely images :)
    edited October 12, 2012
    Thanks much. I got quite obsessed with them for a time.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2012
    Yes mine is the old 105 F4 AIS lens with the PN-11 1:1 adapter.....Cannot believe I keep seeing this lens selling for $250 and upwards.....I watched one auction where the lens and adapter sold for nearly 500......Great Images.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website