Options

D7000 - which macro? 60mm or 105mm Nikkor?

jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
edited October 12, 2012 in Cameras
Hi all, subject says it all.
I want to get a macro lens - but I'm not MAJOR into macro - basically i'm using it to digitise slides at the moment - I say at the moment as I'm borrowing one from a work colleague - the 60mm f2.8 AF-D

I'd like to possibly do more with it though...

However I'm wondering if I would really be better off getting a long focal length? Might cause some problems with the slides digitising - but I could work around htat maybe with some more spacers between camera and lens (currently using 20mm i think - between D7000 and 60mm macro due to the aps-c sensor size 1.5X magnification)

really appreciate your thoughts

thing is - i could maybe get the 60mm at a decent price - 250-300 bucks not sure exactly
whereas anything else is gonna cost me big time - 105 VR is like 800+

thanks for all suggestions

Cheers
Jason

edit: p.s. other option is i get something completely different and try to keep borrowing this one....
currently have: Tokina 11-16 f2.8, Tamron 17-50 f2.8, Nikkor 35 f1.8, Nikkor 70-300 VR

would like to get another 18-200 or 18-300 walkaround lens for holidays as I don't have strong shoulders to carry a bunch of camera gear all day long on holidays... and kids are in your face or else at a zoom reach away - and bounce back and forth between those extremes - ergo a 18-200/300 would be VERY helpful on holidays/every day stuff... hmmm... now i'm really thinking i need to get the macro dirt cheap or get the ultrazoom

Comments

• Options
    brianbbrianb Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited October 11, 2012
    Don't forget about the older manual focus AI/AI-S lenses - the Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5, 55mm f/2.8, 105mm f/4, and 105mm f/2.8 (that's 4 different lenses, total). You can pretty easily find the 55mm versions for less than $100 (I got my f/3.5 for about $35), and the 105mm are usually < $250. Downside is you need an extension ring to get to 1:1 reproduction (they go to 1:2 by themselves), and are manual focus; although when focusing that closely, manual focus is easier anyway. You can find some good reviews of all of them on Bjørn Rørslett's site.
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2012
    Don't overlook the Tamron 90mm f/2.8. It's a fantastic piece of glass for a very reasonable price. It will give you nice results on your D7000. For me, the 60mm is a bit short.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2012
    I like the Nikon 105mm 2.8 VR micro. I rented a copy and really enjoyed how it worked as well as the results and ended up buying one recently. It might cost a bit much, but actually it ends up being the cheapest lens I own. lol
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2012
    thx all for the feedback so far it's helping me to make my mind up
    Seymore - you're right i've just used it for slides and a couple of test shots in the house - guess i should get out and use it in "anger" and see how i go
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2012
    hehehe - will try my best
    Seymore wrote: »
    Well, don't get to "angry". You could end up buying a broken lens. :D