People doing something exciting

toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
edited October 12, 2012 in Street and Documentary
At the Baja races, there are no fences or regs... You have a personal responsibility to keep alive (a few don't)

The photog is about 8' off the course

i-Bjx6C34-XL.jpg
Rags

Comments

• bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2012
    Isn't there a big fast cars forum?
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2012
    Yes, but it's without people
    Rags
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2012
    As a people shot, it's a near miss [rimshot]. But seriously, the issue is everyone's back is turned towards you and as nutty as this sounds, you needed to be closer or been in and amongst the folks there with a wider lens. Technically, very nice though.
  • williaeswilliaes Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2012
    Rags, I like it. I like the fact that everyone is scattering and tells the story of "oh crap get out the way". I like that you can see just enough of the driver and co-pilot that it looks like they are in the belly of a shark or something really out of control.

Thats my two cents worth but I dont post to many shots on this site.
    2 Corinthians 9:15

williamspics.smugmug.com
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited October 12, 2012
    I like that the subject is making its own vignetting.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 12, 2012
    Man, that's an intense shot. bowdown.gif

Sure, it's a hell of an action shot. But it's also about the people. You're seeing people jump for their lives. You're seeing photographers with their cameras buried in a cloud of dust. To me this is the decisive moment that every photojournalist wants to capture.
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2012
    kdog wrote: »
    Man, that's an intense shot. bowdown.gif

Sure, it's a hell of an action shot. But it's also about the people. You're seeing people jump for their lives. You're seeing photographers with their cameras buried in a cloud of dust. To me this is the decisive moment that every photojournalist wants to capture.

15524779-Ti.gif

Really coveys the danger.
    I've seen video of out-of-control race trucks in the audience - people are nuts!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2012
    thanks for looking in folks and for the kind comments

To get closer Jenn would be near suicidal.

The truck is going 70-80mph on an uneven surface with the wheels just generally choosing direction.

You can't take these shots from the front to see faces, the approaching truck spreads too much dust.

But this isn't about faces...

There was a situation in southern CA where about 7 people were killed because a truck veered off the course.

I'm one of the aggressive shooters there. I'm in the course as they're coming at me - I jump to the side when they're very close.

In the latter part of the burst, the photog was enveloped in dust and yes people are jumping for their lives (it's the adrenalin)
    Rags