• bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2012
    michswiss wrote: »
    Absolutely love it!

Ok, but would you elaborate why ?
  • seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2012
    That's an excellent question.

Obviously, I can't answer for MichSwiss and while self critique is always tough and may appear self serving, I can tell you why I find it interesting. This is also good practice for me because
    a serious photographer should be prepared to defend their work, and I really think this is worth it.

First, it's an old style diner and while that can lend itself to all kinds of cliches, I find it interesting. It's also real life with things going on. The waitress is great - hands, facial expression, tatoos. Puts a spin on the cliche. The guys in the booth seem to be discussing something, like for instance, "No, I thought you were going to pay," which makes for a story but one that isn't immediately obvious, i.e. a bit of a question. I like questions, and I love scenes with enough ambiguity, and just enough framework, that I can make up my own story. This also makes a connection with viewer, it invests them in the photo. There are also additional background layers to the photo with other things going on which adds visual interest. Also, while perhaps only partially apparent here, this is the cheap dowtown college student, scenester, hipster hang out. This adds a bit of cultural relevance in the present and holds the potential to be a historical touchstone in the future. The hispster scene started to some degree in this town.

Last, the window frame on the right bugs the #$%* out of me but I took the photo first on instinct as I walked by and by the time I stopped to reframe the moment was gone. Such is life. I've chosen to ignore that in favor of the photo's other merits.
  • superduckzsuperduckz Registered Users Posts: 377 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2012
    Love it. It's candid but not overly voyeuristic. And the window frame actually lends to the authenticity. Don't be so hard on yourself. Well done.
    Accidents and Inspiration
    One of these days I'll have to figure out what my "style" is..
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,885 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2012
    I'm not feeling it. I don't see a story, sorry.
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2012
    I'm late coming back to this image. I guess it pulls a number of memory strings for me. See, I did my time as a short-order cook in a college town, both "Bar Rushes" and "Breakfast Runs." I've also spent a lot of time devouring omelettes after a big night more times than I want to remember. This just brought it all back.

That said, the characters that we see are animated and engaged in their own worlds. It's not up to your normal technical standards though with the brightness and blowouts. Still, I can see why you composed / cropped where you did. Oh, and the Dude in centre composition is just so '70's.
  • superduckzsuperduckz Registered Users Posts: 377 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2012
    Juano wrote: »
    I'm not feeling it. I don't see a story, sorry.

I find that to be an interesting comment. Is a story necessary? Maybe. I didn't really look for one. I really enjoy it for the captured "moment". shrug... 2 cents..
    Accidents and Inspiration
    One of these days I'll have to figure out what my "style" is..
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2012
    michswiss wrote: »
    I'm late coming back to this image. I guess it pulls a number of memory strings for me. See, I did my time as a short-order cook in a college town, both "Bar Rushes" and "Breakfast Runs." I've also spent a lot of time devouring omelettes after a big night more times than I want to remember. This just brought it all back.

That said, the characters that we see are animated and engaged in their own worlds. It's not up to your normal technical standards though with the brightness and blowouts. Still, I can see why you composed / cropped where you did. Oh, and the Dude in centre composition is just so '70's.

Hi wave.gif missed interacting with you, glad you answered.

Ah "Memory Strings" yes that explains it completely, Thanks.