Options

Best point and shoot for close in & macro

bigsnowdogbigsnowdog Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
edited October 12, 2012 in Cameras
At work we have a digital point and shoot used by a bunch of people for what might loosely be termed industrial photography. We manufacture electronic equipment and create images for assembly instructions and also for diagnostic purposes or to document findings.

Many of the people have no experience with photography; they produce some really bad images at times. With care, I can do pretty well, but the camera is lacking a bit, I believe. I am used to a lifetime of manual focus film cameras and now I have a Canon 40D and use it with great success for similar work at home. That background allows me to do better.

The company would not buy an SLR, due to cost. What, if any, point and shoot digital would work well to make sharply focused images taken close up. For your reference, imagine taking detailed photos of subjects ranging in size from a fifty cent piece up through the size of a pop can, clear to the size of an 8-1/2 X 11 sheet of paper.

Are any really great with consistently sharp focusing under such circumstances? Thank you for your thoughts.

Comments

• Options
    henrytdhenrytd Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited October 12, 2012
    Canon G series for Macro
    Canon's G series has always been excellent at Macro. I've used at least the last five G models for macro pictures with great success (I don't remember if the early G series did this well). My G-11 is now used by an objects conservator to record his work in great detail. I've used the G-12 for remote diagnosis of skin disorders, and I just tested the G-15 on pictures of a Forever stamp where the stamp image filled about 60% of the width of the finder (in HDR mode, too). Faster and easier than using the 5Dii (especially since I don't really have a macro EF lens).

Skip