Options

Backpack for traveling? What do you recommend?

haringharing Registered Users Posts: 281 Major grins
edited April 19, 2013 in Accessories
What is your recommendation for a large backpack for traveling?

Currently I have the Medium Tenba rolling backpack: http://www.tenba.com/Products/Shooto...ium-Black.aspx
The problem is that it is not comfortable to have it on your back. It is more a rolling back. I would have something which I can carry on my back for an hour without killing me. I shoot a lot of destination weddings and the way I carry my gear is very important.

I want a backpack, which is:

- large
- fits into most airplanes bag compartment
- waterproof, and
- durable.

It doesn't have to have wheels.

Can you recommend me anything?

Comments

• Options
    markmicallefmarkmicallef Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited April 4, 2013
    I too have the Tenba Medium (non-rolling) and find it very comfortable to ware, Although you may want to try the F-stop line
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,243 moderator
    edited April 4, 2013
    I've been very happy with my f-stop Loka. Thread on dgrin, backpack review::f-stop loka, more details on my blog at http://denisegoldberg.blogspot.com/2012/04/gear-review-f-stop-loka.html.

--- Denise
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2013
    I have this one by ApeCase: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/829130-REG/Ape_Case_ACPRO2000_ACPRO2000_Digital_SLR_and.html It holds camera with 70-200 attached and 4 -5 lenses with room for other stuff as well. Has lots of pockets, and also holds a 16" laptop. Also the camera section is removable, so the backpack can be used for other stuff as well. I have this one and love it. I thought it was a bit heavy at first, but now that I've used it for a while, I don't mind it as much. It sure is nice to be able to take everything with when you don't know what you're gonna need. ;-)

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2013
    I have an Fstop Loka and Satori EXP. I love both of them for different reasons. Last weekend the Satori carried 4 bodies, 2 with lenses mounted, 2 flashes, 3 pocket wizards, and tons of other little junk. It carries about like a backpacking pack. My Loka carries so nice that it has become my backcountry ski pack, even when I do not take camera gear. Even though the Satori is huge it still easily fits in an overhead on a plane and can also fit under a plane seat if you do not have it too packed. The other cool part with Fstop packs is they do not look like camera packs at all. They look like backcountry ski packs.
  • Options
    EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2013
    If you are in STG stop in to Clik Elite they have several bags in the store, and some really good deals.
  • Options
    paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2013
    I think you will get answers that are all over the place unless you can make your question more specific, because there are so many different variations available. Some questions (not necessarily in order of importance):

--How much gear, and of what type, do you want to carry?
    --Do you carry a laptop for tethered shooting?
    --Do you carry a tripod and want an external tripod attachment?
    --Do you want separate sections for camera equipment and other stuff (e.g., do you want your lunch in the same bag but in a separate section)?
    --Do you want a way to carry one or more water bottles outside the case?
  • Options
    photodad1photodad1 Registered Users Posts: 566 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2013
    I just bought the Think Tank Photo Airport Commuter Backpack and love it! The best $200 spent.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/airport-commuter.aspx