Options

Lexar 1000x CF cards....? Do you use them? Should I buy one?

haringharing Registered Users Posts: 281 Major grins
edited January 29, 2013 in Accessories
I would like to buy the Lexar Professional 1000x 16 GB cards. (initially, I wanted to get the 600x versions but they are no longer available.) I have looked at the reviews and lot of people are complaining about the fact that these new 1000x cards fail. I am a wedding photographer and can't afford to lose photos...although I always back up the pictures in the dual slot.

My question: Have you ever used the Lexar Professional 1000x 16Gb series cards and what your experience is....?

Comments

• Options
    OdyOdy Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited October 15, 2012
    haring wrote: »
    I would like to buy the Lexar Professional 1000x 16 GB cards. (initially, I wanted to get the 600x versions but they are no longer available.) I have looked at the reviews and lot of people are complaining about the fact that these new 1000x cards fail. I am a wedding photographer and can't afford to lose photos...although I always back up the pictures in the dual slot.

My question: Have you ever used the Lexar Professional 1000x 16Gb series cards and what your experience is....?

I'm using a 32 GB version in my 5d3. I have less than 1000 pics through it but am happy with it. My buffer clears fast. I'd like to pick up a couple of 16 GB ones before too long.
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2012
    Why do you need a 600x or 1000x card to shoot weddings? Seriously, you'll NEVER outrun your buffer shooting a wedding. ne_nau.gif
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2012
    See above. Unless you are shooting a 1Dx like me, and shooting sports (like me) you shouldn't need the 1000x cards. They still sell 400x ultimates which should be just fine for weddings.
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2012
    Also, what camera are you shooting? There are only a few out there that support the UDMA7 cards at full speed, so you could be paying for high speed cards your camera doesn't even support!
  • Options
    henrytdhenrytd Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited October 23, 2012
    Fast SD card may not be good in the Canon 5D Mark III
    I was very surprised a few days ago when I found an article on Jeff Cable's blog that says (if I understand him) that if I put a fast SDHC card (like a Sandisk Extreme SDHC I UC 10 that I just bought) it will work at 133x, not at it's rated speed, and it will also slow down the SanDisk Extreme Pro CF card that I have which is UDMA 6 (32Gb) (90MB/sec).

The blog says in part:
    ==============
    THURSDAY, JUNE 21, 2012
    Why you should not put an SD card in your Canon 5D Mark III (if you shoot to both CF and SD and care about speed)

I am going to start this by saying that I really like my Canon 5D Mark III cameras and use them for shooting everything including Bar and Bat Mitzvahs, landscapes, portraits, sports and more. But just after receiving my two cameras I started to play with the memory slots and experimented with the best way to use both memory card slots. My first thought was...it would be great to shoot RAW images to both cards as a backup measure, and my second thought was...I could shoot RAW to the CompactFlash card and JPG to the SD card.

Well...after some testing I have determined that, if you care at all about high speed shooting or clearing you buffer quickly, YOU DO NOT want to put a card in the SD slot. Why? Because, for some reason unbeknownst to me, Canon decided to build the 5D Mark III with one very fast CF slot which supports the newer UDMA7 protocol and a standard SD card slot which does NOT support the high speed standard (called UHS - for Ultra High Speed). This is really strange because many other cameras have come out with UHS1 compatible slots over the last year. Without UHS support, the top speed that can be achieved by the SD card is 133x. This is true even if you purchase a 600x SD card and insert it in the camera. The best you will get is 133x .......

The URL for this blog is:

http://jeffcable.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/why-you-should-not-put-sd-card-in-your.html

I apologize if this is a subject that has already been covered in this forum. I have not done an exhaustive search. I would be very interested in what others have to say about this.

Thanks,

Skip

• Options
    edited January 29, 2013
    Icebear wrote: »
    Why do you need a 600x or 1000x card to shoot weddings? Seriously, you'll NEVER outrun your buffer shooting a wedding. ne_nau.gif
    Yes, you do, if you shoot movie as well! :) Seriously, they have stopped making the Ultra Fast version and they have introduced the 1000x ones. You don't have a choice.
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2013
    Ody wrote: »
    I'm using a 32 GB version in my 5d3. I have less than 1000 pics through it but am happy with it. My buffer clears fast. I'd like to pick up a couple of 16 GB ones before too long.

Thanks so much!
    I will get one as well, I decided.
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2013
    See above. Unless you are shooting a 1Dx like me, and shooting sports (like me) you shouldn't need the 1000x cards. They still sell 400x ultimates which should be just fine for weddings.

It is pretty hard to get the 400x ones. Only the new camera memory is available.