5 choices: help me!

adrian_kadrian_k Registered Users Posts: 557 Major grins
edited November 23, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
it was 0°C so I took ~250 shots before my hands went numb, and out of that lot I hand about 40 keepers.
So I've done the easy bit and narrowed it down to 5.

This is a bit over exposed but I don't know if it detracts too much.
Gull.jpg

Another Gull
Gull2.jpg

My wife actually said "wow" when she saw this - it's very rare that she likes any of my stuff.
Swan1.jpg

same swan, different pose.
Swan2.jpg

and my attempt at something abstract - I liked this cos of the patterns the over lapped feathers made.
Tail.jpg
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Adrian
my stuff is here.....

Comments

• ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2005
    I like #3 and #4 the best
  • Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2005
    My vote goes to number threethumb.gif

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • jkelly25jkelly25 Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited November 20, 2005
    Number 3. Good job!clap.gif
    Joe Kelly
    New Jersey
  • morrisphotography2003morrisphotography2003 Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2005
    unless you get one that you think is better you need to go with number 3 because it is by far the best one out of the five.

Good jobthumb.gif
    Bob.
  • JnicholsJnichols Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2005
  • Sask2005Sask2005 Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2005
    birds
    I vote for #3.

clap.gif
    adrian_k wrote:
    it was 0°C so I took ~250 shots before my hands went numb, and out of that lot I hand about 40 keepers.
    So I've done the easy bit and narrowed it down to 5.

This is a bit over exposed but I don't know if it detracts too much.
    Gull.jpg

Another Gull
    Gull2.jpg

My wife actually said "wow" when she saw this - it's very rare that she likes any of my stuff.
    Swan1.jpg

same swan, different pose.
    Swan2.jpg

and my attempt at something abstract - I liked this cos of the patterns the over lapped feathers made.
    Tail.jpg
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2005
    You have to go with #3.

And you CANNOT over expose, it is called BLOWN, and the reactions will just about blow you off of a forum.

ginger (#3 has that reflection and all, nice shot.)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • adrian_kadrian_k Registered Users Posts: 557 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2005
    they all have different qualities that I like, but the response seems to go with number three. Thanks for looking.

ginger_55 wrote:
    You have to go with #3.

And you CANNOT over expose, it is called BLOWN, and the reactions will just about blow you off of a forum.

ginger (#3 has that reflection and all, nice shot.)
    Adrian
    my stuff is here.....
  • cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2005
    I always tend to like images that would make a good wallpaper for a computer, #3 fits that to a T. About the only thing I'd have liked to see is the swan less bull's eyed in the frame... if you have the resolution to crop some, it might help the composition a little to try it out.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • AnnabellaAnnabella Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2005
    I like #5 needs an increase in contrast, crop a little off the right... add some blue... very nice!
  • bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2005
    I like 3 and 4.

I agree though that is you could crop it some to take it off dead center it would add to the image. This image almost seems photoshoped due to the almost perfect reflection and no movement in the water.

The reason I really like #4 is that you can see the rings in the water and still have the reflection. You don't have another shot with the swan facing you do you?
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
    edited November 22, 2005
    this is full frame and therefore no cropping, I'd did toy with the idea of cropping and may try it but it's going to make for an odd shaped photo.

I do have many more and some of them are better angles, but the sun was just coming up behind me and so the swan was in partial shade. The other issue with most of the others is that the reflection is not so good (other than setting the white point there is no photoshopping (even cropping) in this shot). My PS is good but it'd take a real expert to create a reflection like that.

bham wrote:
    I like 3 and 4.

I agree though that is you could crop it some to take it off dead center it would add to the image. This image almost seems photoshoped due to the almost perfect reflection and no movement in the water.

The reason I really like #4 is that you can see the rings in the water and still have the reflection. You don't have another shot with the swan facing you do you?
    Adrian
    my stuff is here.....
    edited November 23, 2005
    I have seen some reflections that were created that you would have sworn were real. The main reason I say that is that the reflection is perfect, no ripples, etc. Very rare, almost too rare. That is part of what I really like about #4 is the ripples in the water.

I wasn't questioning it, just giving my thoughts. To me some ripples would work.

The crop, maybe try one with righ blue cropped off. See what you think? yes it would be odd size.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
    edited November 23, 2005
    bham wrote:
    The crop, maybe try one with righ blue cropped off. See what you think? yes it would be odd size.
    I've uploaded a cropped version to the challenge thread - I think it works.

here's yet another shot, and there're a couple more in my photobucket site (see sig.)
    DSC09772.jpg
    Adrian
    my stuff is here.....
    edited November 23, 2005
    I like the crop. I don't claim to be an expert, but sometimes I hope my input helps. I looked through your site and also liked the pic of the bird on the crane with the trees in the background. Kinda funny that a bird chooses to perch on metal instead of a tree.

Nice work.