Feather Bowling

SciurusNigerSciurusNiger Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
edited October 14, 2012 in Street and Documentary
It's not for sissies.

cropped-Img6762-BW-L.jpg

PJ.
Garnered Images Photography

"Where beauty moves and wit delights and signs of kindness bind me; there, oh there, whe'er I go I leave my heart behind me." (Thomas Ford, 1607)

Comments

• seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2012
    I like it. And this is interesting since I have never heard of feather bowling. Apparently it is played in only one place in the U.S. in Detroit? This looks like a wonderful place to take pictures, if you don't piss off the locals.

Can you tell me the significance of the stickers the men ar wearing. Votaric as in votary? Or a candidates name?

Altogether interesting. The fingers just cut off at the bottom are unfortunate but secondary to the scene, which looks like it could just as well be Jersey.
  • SciurusNigerSciurusNiger Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2012
    Thanks, seastack. Yes, this was in metro Detroit; a fundraiser event for Don Volaric, who is running against Sander Levin in Michigan's 9th Congressional district.

It was an interesting venue; lighting was rather wonky but the old building holds a great deal of (restored) charm.

Good catch on the fingers; will have to go back and see if I cropped them in camera or in post-processing.

While the one I posted was my favorite of the evening, here's another one that shows a bit of how this sport is played (Don is the one throwing). There is a team at each end and the goal is to send those oval balls to the opposite end of the alley, stopping as close to the feather as possible. Definitely requires a great deal of finesse.

cropped-Img6836-L.jpg

And the locals look a lot friendlier, eh?

PJ.

seastack wrote: »
    I like it. And this is interesting since I have never heard of feather bowling. Apparently it is played in only one place in the U.S. in Detroit? This looks like a wonderful place to take pictures, if you don't piss off the locals.

Can you tell me the significance of the stickers the men ar wearing. Votaric as in votary? Or a candidates name?

Altogether interesting. The fingers just cut off at the bottom are unfortunate but secondary to the scene, which looks like it could just as well be Jersey.
    Garnered Images Photography

"Where beauty moves and wit delights and signs of kindness bind me; there, oh there, whe'er I go I leave my heart behind me." (Thomas Ford, 1607)
  • seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2012
    Wow, that's just a strange sport :)) Interesting place. Thanks for posting.