Oompa

seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
edited October 15, 2012 in Street and Documentary
tumblr_mbrmg1Y3R11rcltdjo1_1280.jpg

Comments

• SciurusNigerSciurusNiger Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2012
    I really like this! The simplicity carries it. Kinda wish the person playing had on one of those marching band hats, though....

PJ.
    Garnered Images Photography

"Where beauty moves and wit delights and signs of kindness bind me; there, oh there, whe'er I go I leave my heart behind me." (Thomas Ford, 1607)
  • seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2012
    I really like this! The simplicity carries it. Kinda wish the person playing had on one of those marching band hats, though....

PJ.

I think I've seen that photo though .... mwink.gif
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2012
    seastack wrote: »
    I think I've seen that photo though .... mwink.gif
    It reminds me of my image of Rick Maida.

Only that's a satellite dish next to him, not a Tuba! :D

Good one! thumb.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • stphotographystphotography Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2012
    Well seen! Bravo! )))))
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2012
    Love it...But...and forgive me, I'm not quite sure why, but I wish the bottom was six inches to a foot lower.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited October 14, 2012
    I've come back to this one several times, but am a little puzzled by it. It definitely has a Magritte/surreal feel, which I love, and the lighting is excellent. But something is bothering me about the composition--maybe the emptiness of the upper right quadrant, dunno. I just have this feeling that it should be a great image but something is holding it back. Have you tried other crops?
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2012
    I'm with Richard & B.D., in that I am drawn to it but then I'm pushed away.

For me I feel it should be Vertical orientation and cropped tighter on the right.

I'm OK with empty space but more on the bottom might of been better.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited October 14, 2012
    Hmm...more on the bottom might have helped, but it sort of depends on what was there. I think part of the success of this depends on the isolation of the tuba and the guy against the sky. Shooting lower might have worked, but not if it broke the isolation. ne_nau.gif
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,885 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2012
    bdcolen wrote: »
    Love it...But...and forgive me, I'm not quite sure why, but I wish the bottom was six inches to a foot lower.
    I agree with BD and others.
  • PhotogbikerPhotogbiker Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2012
    Love it as shot. thumb.gif

The crop, the empty space, the 'vastness of the universe' all work here. Young boy playing a heavy instrument and looking out at the wide open space of the world. Love it! As a band parent I can tell you that convincing a young trombone player that he really wants to switch to tuba and march with that thing wrapped around him is not easy.

Cropped lower would have shown the band uniform and been a reportage shot of a high school (or college?) band member. This crop focuses on the tuba bell, the kid is just a device that carries the instrument and occasionally blows into it. Maybe the lower, fuller crop more fits this forum, but as presented here it is a much better artistic statement of the challenge.

Creates tension and a tiny bit of WTF. Richard had the best compliment--"...something is bothering me..." Excellent! clap.gif
  • seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2012
    Thank you for all the comments.