Joined the 5D Mark ii crowd today!

RevLinePhotoRevLinePhoto Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
edited October 17, 2012 in Cameras
I have been torn betweent he idea of picking up a 5D Mark ii for my non sports shooting and the upcoming 6D. I held the 60D with similar controls as the 6D and the layout was killing me from my comfort with the 7D.

One of the points that made me lean to the 5D Mark ii was the Rebate of a printer which I needed to buy today for class (for a couple months I am unable to print from my schools) and the good discount on the 5D. In all I got the 5D for $1799.00 and the Canon Pixma Pro 9000 ii for $330 with an aditional $400 mail in rebate bringing toal cost to $1740.00 after rebate.

Odd thing I noticed when registering the camera was it came up on the canon websight as already registered (purchased from local big box) but the box was sealed and shutter count started at _MG_0001 will have to call canon.

Sadly I learned something new my trusty walk around Sigma EX DC 18-50/2.8 which I thought was a EF mount is a EFs mount noticed by very heavy vinyeting in view finder when mounted to the 5D. So not I am also in the market for a new walk around lens I am debating on the 17-40 F4 or the all to common 24-105 F4 which I have heard of soft focus and poor image quality from but I worry the 40mm long end of the other lens will not be enough to walk around with.
BMW Tech
Live life to its fullest you never know whats in your future.
WWW.REVLINEPHOTO.COM

Comments

• Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2012
    You bought the camera at a retail store? When you tried to register your 5D2, did you verify the serial number that you entered was correct? Look at it again just to make sure that you didn't mistake one number for another.

Let us know what happens...interesting.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • RevLinePhotoRevLinePhoto Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2012
    Yes I bought it at the local Best Buy the only place where I could find the printer and camera so it could be on one reciept for the rebate. The first thing I did was checked the serial number on the bottom of the camera and I had it correct I will be emailing canon tonight or tomorrow about it.
    BMW Tech
    WWW.REVLINEPHOTO.COM
  • billythekbillythek Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2012
    I have been torn betweent he idea of picking up a 5D Mark ii for my non sports shooting and the upcoming 6D. I held the 60D with similar controls as the 6D and the layout was killing me from my comfort with the 7D.

One of the points that made me lean to the 5D Mark ii was the Rebate of a printer which I needed to buy today for class (for a couple months I am unable to print from my schools) and the good discount on the 5D. In all I got the 5D for $1799.00 and the Canon Pixma Pro 9000 ii for $330 with an aditional $400 mail in rebate bringing toal cost to $1740.00 after rebate.

Odd thing I noticed when registering the camera was it came up on the canon websight as already registered (purchased from local big box) but the box was sealed and shutter count started at _MG_0001 will have to call canon.

Sadly I learned something new my trusty walk around Sigma EX DC 18-50/2.8 which I thought was a EF mount is a EFs mount noticed by very heavy vinyeting in view finder when mounted to the 5D. So not I am also in the market for a new walk around lens I am debating on the 17-40 F4 or the all to common 24-105 F4 which I have heard of soft focus and poor image quality from but I worry the 40mm long end of the other lens will not be enough to walk around with.

The 24-105 is not a bad lens. It's just not stellar sharp like a 70-200 or the new 24-70II. But it makes a great walk-around lens, with a useful range for FF, and IS comes in handy, especially when hand-holding. I just picked up the new 24-70II, and very pleased with it so far. Not sure if I'll sell the 24-105, though.
    - Bill
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2012

I would need more than 40mm 'walking around' on a full frame but you could start with the 17-40 or the 24-70 and add the 24-105 later. Or look at non-Canon lens like Sigma 50-150, Tamron, etc.
  • RevLinePhotoRevLinePhoto Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2012
    Sounds like everyone is like me and torn on the lens choices the 17-40 is my cost effective option with what I hope is great image quality ( not many complaints) where in the wide angle range the 24-70 would be ideal to keep all my glass at 2.8 but very expensive. I like the thought of the 24-105 due to I find my self constaintly switching between my 18-50 and 70-200 on the 7D shooting fast action sports (some times over 200mph pans) and it would bridge that gap but as noted not as tack sharp as the 70-200. I guess my best option is to rent each and see which I like best.
    BMW Tech
    WWW.REVLINEPHOTO.COM