Canbon 7d Hard Reset

Big RedBig Red Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
edited October 14, 2012 in Cameras
I am having some issues with soft action shots (soccer) ever since I had to send my 70-200 mm non IS into Canon for repair (The barrels were loose). Prior to trying some micro adjustments, I decided to do a hard reset. I removed all of the batteries as instructed, overnight. I replaced them and had to reset the date time as I learned I would need to. I was also told that my file numbering would start at 0 again. My file numbering started where I left off prior to the hard reset.

Did I not so something correctly? Do I need to redo it?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,067 moderator
    edited October 14, 2012
    I believe that is the proper procedure to reset the Canon 7D back to factory defaults. Did you also turn the camera "on" with the battery removed?

Did all of the settings revert back to default?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Big RedBig Red Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited October 14, 2012
    Canon 7d Hard Reset
    Ziggy. Thanks for the response.

Ooops. I did not turn the camera on when i removed the batteries. I thought from what I read, all other default settings would remain with what I had but the two resets to default would be the filing numbers and the date/ time.

Back to the drawing board.

Any explanations why my lens (70-200 non IS) would be soft after having the barrels tightened and the lens calibrated? Would it most likely just need to be calibrated to my body using Micro adjustments?

Thanks again.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,067 moderator
    edited October 14, 2012
    Big Red wrote: »
    ... Any explanations why my lens (70-200 non IS) would be soft after having the barrels tightened and the lens calibrated? Would it most likely just need to be calibrated to my body using Micro adjustments?

There's a very good chance that autofocus micro-adjust will help with your soft focus. If it doesn't work, you may have to send both camera and lens in to be calibrated together. If your other lenses are focusing properly, you may also need to relay that fact so that Canon service doesn't adjust the mechanical focus adjustment in the camera body.

Rereading your first post, if you want to see your memory card start numbering from all "0000"s after reset you should either use a virgin card or use a card reader to format the card using a computer* before you do a camera format of the card. Many/most bodies will continue with the number the image file to after the last shot otherwise. (When you do an in-camera format, it leaves a small bit of code so that the camera can tell the last image number. Computer formatting will remove that code, but it's still best to do a camera format afterwards too.)

*(It's fairly important to format the card using the same FAT structure that the camera uses.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Big RedBig Red Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited October 14, 2012
    Canon 7d Hard Reset
    I have the paper from Canon regarding my repair, which included tightening the barrels.

It states: : It was found that the adjustment of the AF assembly was incorrect causing the auto focus to operate improperly. Electrical adjustments were carried out on the af assembly. Product functions were confirmed".