Options

End of Soccer for now

adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
edited October 15, 2012 in Sports
Just finished the short soccer season in their league with a defensive struggle. Scoring was 1-0 on a penalty kick, 1-1 after a score with 2 seconds left, still 1-1 after 2xOT, 2-2 after the first 5 penalty shots, 3-3 after the next 5, and finally 4-3 after the next pair of shots. A lot of shooting....

C&C greatly appreciated. These were mostly shot with the 200-400 f/4. (Edit: I had said some of these were with the 70-200, but all are with the 200-400).

1. This kid was pretty much afraid of the ball and contact at the start of the school year. By the end of the season, she had come so far...
20121011-133-L.jpg

2.Thankfully, no one was injured...
20121011-201-L.jpg

20121011-234-XL.jpg

4. Nice thing about the shoot out was getting a good angle on the goalie for once...
20121011-296-XL.jpg

20121011-515-XL.jpg

6. Of course, winning is always more fun than the other option...
20121011-452-XL.jpg
- Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
My SmugMug Site

Comments

• Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2012
    Great stuff. Only comments would be 4&5 are a little loose, and to do some cosmetic surgery on 6 before you make these available to the team, to spare the goalie some ridicule.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2012
    Thanks, Jack. That ripple in his leg is really stubborn. I have an edit, but I don't really like it as it feels overly smooth. More work required...
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2012
    Jack, thanks. On #4, I fully agree and a tighter crop is very helpful. On #5, I have a question on cropping both for press and print. If I pull the 4x6 crop tighter the goalie's head moves more and more center and it really starts to feel (to me) like there isn't room enough on the left. Clearly, I can make the aspect more like 16x9 or custom/random to just lop off the top. Do you feel it works if the the crop is pulled in? Something like (this is just a screen capture):
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2012
    I think that's an improvement. I think there's plenty of room on the left. I'd even try a 7:5 or 5:4 crop. This isn't a portrait, he doesn't have to be totally offset to the side.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.