Options

Soccer C&C

sj4231sj4231 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited October 16, 2012 in Sports
Hi, I mainly shoot soccer actions shots and am looking for C&C. I have others but am limited to 1 attachment per post so I chose this one as it is less "clear cut" in my mind.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2012
    Oddly enough, I shot some soccer today for the first time in MANY months. Was interesting getting out there again...

So looking at this image, there are several things that jump out to me. Some you can help, others would be out of your control.

1. I can't tell if it's a focus issue or shutter speed issue, but the players near the ball don't appear to be sharp.
    2. The DOF is VERY great. Something you want to try to avoid. You want as shallow an aperture (wide) as you can get
    3. The frame is "busy". There are the two primary players, a player directly behind them, a player off to the left, a player to the right, and part of an arm on the right side of the frame. You need to isolate the subjects as best you can.
    4. The frame looks overexposed a bit. The white of the uniforms appears blown out.
    5. The horizon needs to be straightened.

On the positive side, the timing of the shot is wonderful! Colors look nice and saturated. Appears you had two good teams to shoot.

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2012
    Great timing!!
    I think perroneford covered it all. Try a vertical crop around the main action.
    You want your shutter 1/500 (or so) or faster. On a day like that, it should have been no problem. If you shot raw, try pulling the highlights back a bunch (and the exposure down a little).
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2012
    The shot is very well timed, but that is it. perroneford is right about the rest, except that the colors are not as saturated as they could be, because the shot is over-exposed.

Here is a tip - in consistent light, shoot manual. Expose for the faces, set it and forget it. This prevents the camera from being confused by a dark or varying background, or dark uniforms.

5D35246-X2.jpg
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    photodad1photodad1 Registered Users Posts: 566 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2012
    For soccer I shoot at a minimum shutter speed of 1/1000. During consistent light, during the day or night, shoot in manual mode. If the clouds are blocking the sun from time to time, switch to AP. Don't be afraid to increase the ISO to 400 or 800 during the day. Crop tightly.

Strikers-RailHawks-092912-M.jpg