Mini-D and the 5dII

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited October 25, 2012 in People
C&C always welcome!!!

Yup, finally took the plunge and picked up a 5dII in the last-gasp sales going on right now. Still getting used to the new beast, but since young'un asked (yes, ASKED!) me to take some headshots for her for something, I got a chance to run it through a mini-portrait session today.

Yes, I am in love with full frame. OH yes. :lust

1. Not the best one of her from the session, but for a DOF/bokeh junkie like me this shot is just amazing - the idea that eyes are still sharp when the hair in front that the wind caught is blurred... I just can't do that with my 7d (and believe me, I've tried!!)

i-gDm5nv7-L.jpg

2. The 135L doing its thing....

i-TBMT6HD-L.jpg

3. And her favorite from the day - this is the one she'll probably use
i-Bp6WXSG-L.jpg

Comments

• ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2012
    Great shots!

I kind of miss the "kitty ears"!

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2012
    Oh 2 and 3 are brilliant , yes you do seem to be in love!! so happy for you .knock out shots. I agree with her choice from what you posted, wonder if she knows how lucky she is ?? !!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2012
    Welcome to the wonderful world of FX sensors! Make sure you explore what f4 and 5.6 can do for you now and take the super glue off of 2.8. rolleyes1.gif

Number three is a winner for sure. She sure has matured since the first images of her I'd seen when I first joined the forum.
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2012
    Beautiful. wb seems a bit off in the first two?
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2012
    wb seems a bit off in the first two?

Cool or warm? Very likely still not nailing these - new (to me) monitor + new calibrator, and I'm still not trusting it to be right so I guess and don't always nail it!!
    Make sure you explore what f4 and 5.6 can do for you now and take the super glue off of 2.8.

Bwahahahaha.... you know me too well, Bryce :D Yeah, I'm digging this don't-have-to-shoot-wide-open-to-get-the-effect thing. It's like having a whole new bag of lenses!

She's an awesome kid. She's had a tough year of the "school of hard knocks" variety - much disappointment through no fault of her own (high school zoning rules and complications) so she's had an awful lot to deal with. The teen years are hard enough without that kind of externally imposed stress, so we're really proud that she's managed to keep going and keep trying her best in spite of it all. iloveyou.gif
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2012
    Very nice!! I like 2 & 3. Not a huge fan of the lower contrast in 2, but that's just taste (or my lack thereof). #2 also seems a bit cooler than the rest.
    Kudo's to Mini-D (and you & DH's parenting) in her ability to roll with it....
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2012
    #1 just slightly cold=blue
    #2 more so= moderate blue caste
    #3 pretty close on WB= good skin tines and hair
    Saturation looks fine on #3. I was wondering how many would post before this was mentioned.
    edited October 15, 2012
    Rework of #2. Any better, or is this too warm/contrasty now? As an aside, I find it ironically amusing that I could nail my colour on a crappy laptop monitor, but now working on the decent IPS screen (calibrated) I'm struggling a bit... lol3.gif
    edited October 15, 2012
    As an aside, I find it ironically amusing that I could nail my colour on a crappy laptop monitor, but now working on the decent IPS screen (calibrated) I'm struggling a bit.

Awesome, so much better!!! I know two new pieces of equipment are just giving you fits. One is hard enough to deal with, but two, ouch. Honestly, I have heard others complain about the 5D balance, just reading through peoples comments on them on the internet, so you might google around, might be some tips on that.

Relooked again, beautiful image, 100% nailed! Blue is gone.
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2012
    I like the color better but some of the contrast has been lost. Maybe raise the black point a bit?
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
    edited October 16, 2012
    Actually, the rework has a way higher black point than the first version I posted. Except for cleaning up the hair in her eyes I didn't do much other editing to the rework, so maybe that's the difference? Dunno. ne_nau.gif

Novice, I shoot raw+awb and rebalance in post, so native 5dII balances shouldn't (in theory) be an issue.

Fwiw, here's the original SOOC. At this end, my first version looks way closer to the original file than the rework, but since y'all say the rework is better, I'll trust that thumb.gif

I swear this is going to make me CRAZY - I've been able to trust my processing since I first calibrated my laptop monitor (and realised that it was a little low contrast, thus not to add too much pop). Now that I'm working on this good monitor and calibrated (had to jump to a Spyder since even with updated drivers win 7+Huey didn't play nice) I don't seem to be able to get anything right. I'll get it in time, I'm sure, but at this point it's driving me NUTS (with shots from either camera) lol3.gif

ETA: yes, the original is slightly underexposed and surrounded by green. It was actually a grab shot right as we went indoors, but I liked the expression so decided to work on it thumb.gif
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2012
    3 is the best in my opinion. I think the colors in the rework look better but definitely lost some contrast. could be because its attached and not linked though! anyway beautiful as always. I do think there is some greenish yellow tinting going on in the edited versions.

FF is so awesome. so so awesome. They say its not about the camera but i'm sorry I highly disagree with that statement after purchasing my d800! i haven't touched the d90 since and probably won't ever again!
  • hamsterhamster Registered Users Posts: 361 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2012
    What a gorgeous girl! I love the warm rework.
    edited October 16, 2012
    I tinkered in LR and CS5 with the low res image. The histogram is flat and pegged hard right, blown highs in the background on the original. Funny thing is, working in the image in LR, just barely touch any of the sliders, and the yellow and greens go ballistic. You're last rework is better than mine lol, I would run a LR brush over her eyes for sharpness, maybe 10% up, and maybe Iris Enhance, 5-10% up. To make her eyes pop subtlety. On those, less is sometimes more. And call it good. I can understand wanting to save this image, very nice. thumb.gif
    edited October 16, 2012
    Thanks Novice!!

I'm still tinkering with this - it's sort of become my "great white whale" rolleyes1.gif That said, by the time I've finished with it, hopefully I'll have established some parameters for myself and can apply best guess to most white balances.

Here's a side-by-side of the most recent iteration (I was also messing with the crop - it is the same shot). I desat'd and darkened the yellows of the bg in LR which gave me a little more lattitude with exposure/brightness adjustments, which I kind of like, but I'm intrigued how drastically a curves layer in PS - created with a new black and white point set via the "threshold" command - pushed skin tones back towards cooler ne_nau.gif

With these two, I see the warm one as ever so slightly too warm, and the cool one as too cool. Is that about what everybody else is getting? FWIW, her hair colour is about right in the cooler one, even if skin tone isn't..... :bash
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2012
    beeyootiful daughter and photos..the other posters are wrong. The slight coolness in WB is perfect imo.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited October 16, 2012
    Ah np Diva. It was a learning curve for me as well lol. If the skin tone looks good, I would just burn her hair (10-15%) or use a brush to lower just the brushed hair exposure in LR again about 10%. That way the rest of the image isn't affected by a massive change and such. I wasn't sure what color her hair was when I was messing with it. This is also a great way to run highlights in someones hair. I was told LR has what is called "persistence" built in. explained below

Ever notice when you burn or change exposure on a face in LR, areas you just brushed over, hit O to see the overlay, hit again to hide it, some spots are a lighter color in the overlay? Those are areas that have a different tone or exposure, then the other areas where the pink overlays are smooth. Sometimes it's the shine on someones lips, sometimes a hot spot on a cheek or forehead. Even on those areas, only the amount of burning determined by the overall setting is applied. Kind of hard to explain, but open an image and burn their face and you'll see the areas I'm describing. I usually blow the image up 3:1 to get a more precise work area. If you make a mistake on the overlay, mask, just hold down Alt , while brushing out the mistakes. To move the image to continue working it, just hit spacebar and drag with the mouse. Then release the spacebar to go back to editing. If you just lose track and want to clear all changes, on one of the top left buttons, is "reset", it removes all changes from that editing session.

In CS5, burn brushing over a persistent spot, will keep doubling the mask, that always catches me when I switch between the two lol. Every brush stroke doubles the darkness, much less forgiving than LR. Needless to say, I hit edit and step backwards or undo in there alot lol. Anyway, I do most of the work in LR, except when I need to remove a hair or brush, clone a large area. One thing I was practicing on the image in CS5 was, removing the strands of hair from her face. I'm still learning, but I got it done lol.

I'm far from a pro, but learning fast lol.

ETA, I try to limit any brushwork to 10-15%, my experience is much farther than that you make start getting artefacting, which may show up in image upload compression. been there, done that lol.
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2012
    diva- what does this look like on your monitor? of course I only had the lower res jpg and didnt clone or touch up but it seems to be a mix of the two. she has a tough skin tone to work with! (if you want me to take it down I will...)

i-5ThRJXC-M.jpg
  • GothamGotham Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2012
    As a portrait, I like the warm one. But for a headshot, I like the cool one -- perhaps just a few degrees warmer. I always figure if you see one version as too warm and one as too cool, you should probably split the difference.
    edited October 17, 2012
    Thanks, guys.

Great job Melissa! It's a tad bright, but it's a very good compromise on the colour balance thumb.gif

I think her skin tones are just weird in this shot - between all the green and the underexposure and the way the light brought out her current hair colour (!) it's a hot mess. But I still love the shot iloveyou.gif

Novice, typically, I do my first-pass editing in LR - if the shot needs minimal work, I'll use an eye-bump brush I have, heal out any noticeable blemishes and done. For anything more sophisticated than that - especially skin retouching - I take it into PS, particularly things like that kind of detailed hair retouching. In CS3, I just cloned it out (small brush, alternate which side of the strand you use as the source, and do it on a separate layer to make corrections/adjust opacity). I've just moved to CS6 - which I am LOVING - and the healing brush does an almost no-brainer job on it. I think it was worth upgrading for that alone! The content-aware algorithms make it soooo easy just to heal it right out; I doubt if it took me more than about 60 seconds (including cleaning it up where it crosses her eye).
    edited October 17, 2012
    Very nice. Yep, I heard CS6 has some new touch up aspects to it, but haven't looked at it yet. If I buy anything else for the moment, the misses might get "that" look rolleyes1.gif lol. I have a few other items on my list, but nothing as pricey as the stuff I have already purchased, picked up a nice tripod last week. Like Quincy said, it never ends lol. I'm hoping my camera body makes it a few more months, reaching end life expectancy, but it's been a great friend. I just have to decide how far I'm going into this. BOT, I'm glad you saved the picture, that's a keeper for sure.
    edited October 17, 2012
    You can probably do much the same with CS5 - I think that was the first version with the content aware features. The healing brush is a wonderful tool when used and appropriately!
    edited October 17, 2012
    Yeppers, it does. I need to spend some time and go back through my CS5 tutorials, on some aspects I rarely use, working with layers being one. Not enough time in the day anymore lol.
  • WaskitheSquirrelWaskitheSquirrel Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited October 18, 2012
    I just got my Mark ii today. I snapped a few shots in my classroom and around the house. I love the low ISO noise, and I look forward to putting it through its paces. A trip to the ND Badlands has suddenly entered my agenda for tomorrow! (I'm not a portrait photographer, but I like what you did.)

As for your work, I liked the facial expression on the first. It seemed the most natural. I liked the background blur (and plan to try that full frame feature myself). The only concern I really had was that the pictures seem a little cold. I liked your rework later on in the thread. The colors were much warmer and matched the girl's expression a lot better.
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2012
    Lovely shots of Mini D. She's beautiful!!

I smitten with #3, but I just cant put my finger on why I feel the crop is too centered. I've played with different crops but can't seem to improve on your choice. Therefore, you win!!
  • coolpinskycoolpinsky Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2012
    nice shots - I like 2 and 3
    and 3 is my fav I think
    5D II - great - good for ya !
    I was thinking about it as well - but still not sure .......
  • michaelglennmichaelglenn Registered Users Posts: 442 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2012
    #3 is stunning! I also love the re-edit of #2. You nailed it thumb.gif
    wedding portfolio michaelglennphoto.com
    fashion portfolio michaelglennfashion.com
    edited October 19, 2012
    Awww, thanks guys! We're pretty fond of her iloveyou.gif

I'm still tinkering around with these - useful for practice. I've got a mammoth bulk headshots shoot coming up as well as a couple of regular ones, so I really need to be getting my game on. I've been so darned busy with other stuff I haven't had enough time to shoot, but hoping this weekend Mini-D may let me practice with her again (especially since we should hit peak foliage too). We'll see.... :)
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2012
    I like the cooler version. Her eyes pop more. The warm seems a little too warm and orange.
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2012
    Think 3's the best pose / expression - but worst background.

pp