DSS #114- Still Life - CLOSED

JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
edited October 22, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
Welcome to Round #114 of the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges.

This challenge is for all dgrin members.

It will run from Monday, October 15, 2012 8:00pm PST time (GMT -8) through Monday, October 29, 2012 8:00pm PST time (GMT -8).

The theme this round for your interpretation will be: Still Life

We had this theme a few years ago, but I thought it would be fun to redo it
with all the new people too! This time it will NOT be SOOC! You may make adjustments if you must in post editing.

Although, I encourage you all to try and minimize your use of post editing to just the cropping tool and minimal contrast or brightness settings. Try to set up your scene and lights in real time and not in post editing.

To see some ideas go to this link; STILL LIFE

Please remember to limit your titles to just a few words and no verses or quotes from others! Only a certain amount of characters can be entered into the polls and with all of the urls and names and such, it gets filled quickly.

The editing restrictions are listed above in this round!
Your Judge:
1 round 72 Hour Public Vote.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your entry is to be submitted directly into a SmugMug gallery. It's pretty simple, just go to the gallery link below, and follow the upload instructions at the top of the page:

DSS #114 Entry Gallery

Remember, the basics stay the same: 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period. Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web"), and your EXIF will be embedded in your image, no worries!

To avoid disqualification, read, in full, the Dgrin Sharp Shooters
Challenge RULES. :deal

Please note that there has been a rules wording change, so be sure you have re- read the
rules!

Comments

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 2,116 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2012
    What is SOOC
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited October 16, 2012
    SOOC- straight out of camera (no post editing)
  • GeekGeek Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited October 16, 2012
    Sorry about using inspirational quotes as photo titles - I didn't know there were character capacity limitations. I won't do it again. thumb.gif
    cheers,
    Edward in Colorado
  • SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2012
    Soooo glad it's not SOOC! This is a good one!
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2012
    Usually I go walking with my camera. This time I'm diagramming and sketching, and dusting off interesting things from the backs of shelves & closets. I'm totally on my head on this one. I've only ever tried to do a "staged, lit" indoor session once, with my baby nephew. I'll have to find some good natural, directional light.
    Me too. I painted a couple of still life pictures back c 1969, and I'm going to try to recreate one of them. It was the first one I did, and the instructor told us we could use only two colors (plus white and black)
  • JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2012
    Are Still Life pics always indoors?
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
    edited October 22, 2012
    I think it is usual for them to be indoors, but not all of them are. I think of a Still Life as static, and outdoors you have weather
    edited October 22, 2012
    grandmaR wrote: »
    I think it is usual for them to be indoors, but not all of them are. I think of a Still Life as static, and outdoors you have weather

OK .. thanks for the info.
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    edited October 22, 2012
    I'm not an expert by any means. So my advice is probably worth all of what you paid for it :)
    edited October 22, 2012
    grandmaR wrote: »
    I'm not an expert by any means. So my advice is probably worth all of what you paid for it :)

Well .. every little bit helps me! Laughing.gif Maybe you'll let me know what you think about the eggs image I posted in the other thread?
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    edited October 22, 2012
    I usually pick 50 or 60 photos and then weed them out until I have something I think is OK. For that challenge, I rejected things that looked like they were sepia rather than black and white, because I didn't know whether an actual black was required or whether any one color and white would do. If it is the one I remember, it was a really good photo, but whether it meets the standard of the person who set the parameters up, I don't know. One of the examples was milk, which was somewhat of a cream color.