Options

Utter frustration!

MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
edited November 21, 2005 in Cameras
Okay, there is a speck of dirt on some aparatus of my camera, EOS Digital Rebel XT. I have cleaned the lens, the CMOS sensor, etc... and I can't get rid of it. But here is the wierd part. The speck is not showing up in photos. Does this mean that it is actually on my viewfinder? I have cleaned that too but still the speck is there. Can anyone see a speck in this photo? It should be just right and little above the lamp post. I don't see anything.

IMG_1199.jpg

Ignore how crappy the shot is. I just wanted to do a test shot. I have done several others and I can not see the speck which is quite large when looking through my viewfinder.

If you can't see the speck either, where could this speck be hiding and why can't I get rid of it? ne_nau.gif

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2005
    wave.gif Maestros - that photo is pretty big for forum viewing - folks would appreciate a smaller size.

You have something on your mirror - or in your OVF - quite common, leave it there or clean it.
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2005
    Andy wrote:
    wave.gif Maestros - that photo is pretty big for forum viewing - folks would appreciate a smaller size.

You have something on your mirror - or in your OVF - quite common, leave it there or clean it.
    Sorry about the size. I purposely left it big so forum members could scrutinize it looking for the speck. I'll resize it.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2005
    Maestro wrote:
    Sorry about the size. I purposely left it big so forum members could scrutinize it looking for the speck. I'll resize it.

No worries - you can always post 100% crops if you actually have dust spots or other irregularites..

Clean your mirror - that's probably it.
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2005
    Andy wrote:
    No worries - you can always post 100% crops if you actually have dust spots or other irregularites..

Clean your mirror - that's probably it.
    That is the thing. I have cleaned the mirror, but obviously not well enough I suppose. I cleaned the CMOS sensor per the instruction in the manual. I've cleaned the lens piece and tried to blow out the mirrors protecting the sensor with a small rubber blower. I am just afraid to touch the mirrors protecting the sensor. I've also cleaned my viewfinder glass but perhaps not well enough either. Anyway, the speck does not show up in photos so I guess I need to stop obsessing. eek7.gif

Edit: Thanks for the tip on the crops. I'd forgotten about that.
  • Options
    ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2005
    Maestro wrote:
    That is the thing. I have cleaned the mirror, but obviously not well enough I suppose. I cleaned the CMOS sensor per the instruction in the manual. I've cleaned the lens piece and tried to blow out the mirrors protecting the sensor with a small rubber blower. I am just afraid to touch the mirrors protecting the sensor. I've also cleaned my viewfinder glass but perhaps not well enough either. Anyway, the speck does not show up in photos so I guess I need to stop obsessing. eek7.gif

Edit: Thanks for the tip on the crops. I'd forgotten about that.
    Exactly the right attitude. if it doesn't affect your photos, ignore it.
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2005
    Exactly the right attitude. if it doesn't affect your photos, ignore it.
    I think that is what I am going to do because I still can't figure out where this speck is hiding. bncry.gif Oh well, I guess I am just too sensitive because my three year old son just broke a small area of my 19" NEC monitor and now all I see is this small break in my monitor's glass. It hasn't been good for me and glass recently. I think I will go have a drink.smilie_bier2.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited November 20, 2005
    Dust motes that you see through your viewfinder, and do not appear in your images, are on the ground glass screen just below the penta prism. They are harmless - ignore them, and if you cannot ignore them any longer, use a Rocket blower to dislodge them.

I would be VERY careful about cleaning the mirror's surface as it is a front surface mirror - What you see is the silver coating itself completely unprotected by any glass surface and VERY easily scratched. Stick with a Sensor Brush or an Artic Butterfly - two special brushes made for cleaning the sensor's surface.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    Dust motes that you see through your viewfinder, and do not appear in your images, are on the ground glass screen just below the penta prism. They are harmless - ignore them, and if you cannot ignore them any longer, use a Rocket blower to dislodge them.

I would be VERY careful about cleaning the mirror's surface as it is a front surface mirror - What you see is the silver coating itself completely unprotected by any glass surface and VERY easily scratched. Stick with a Sensor Brush or an Artic Butterfly - two special brushes made for cleaning the sensor's surface.
    Thank you very much. Two people including yourself has suggested exactly the same so I am betting you all are correct. I will learn to live with it. If it doesn't affect my pics, then I shouldn't worry about it. Thanks a ton for the advice.