Options

Carly - Headshots (and a bit more)

BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
edited October 21, 2012 in People
From this weekends' shoot with one gorgeous and versatile model, Miss Carly W.

Click the first image for her full gallery.

p1198184948-4.jpg

p1198596858-4.jpg

p1198596954-4.jpg

p1200720114-4.jpg

p1198190338-4.jpg

p1200979034-4.jpg

p1200720128-4.jpg

8. OKAY, not a headshot but do you really care?
p1200663796-4.jpg
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen

Comments

• Options
    lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2012
    1,5,8 for me... and a serious WOW on number 1! WOW! great job!!

4 is a little soft, 3 is awesome too..but my personal taste doesn't like the greenish tint. & 2 i don't know if its the processing or now but the hair on her arm looks a little dark and very noticible.

really, really nice stuff.
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2012
    Thank Lilmomma.

That green tint you're seeing probably comes from some reflected water behind the camera. Shot everything with a gray card but I can probably correct for that in post.
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2012
    Yeah, number 1 just hits it out of the park, closely followed by #8. The only one I don't care for is 6 - the lace curtain plus something about the angle+her expression just don't quite make it.

The set is overall great though. Your work has taken a massive leap in professionalism in the last month or so!
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2012
    Thanks Diva.

I appreciate you seeing the improvement. I can't know for sure why but I know that starting with that shoot for the bikini comapny (Aenna in Paradise) I started taking a lot fewer frames and looking more than shooting. I also started using a gray card for WB for every set and that seems to have stopped the comments I used to get about WB. All in all, in an average shoot, I click the camera half as much and keep twice as many. I TOLD you I could listen and value your opinion even when I'm (temporarily) mad at you. Laughing.gif
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2012
    Bilsen wrote: »
    Thanks Diva.
    I started taking a lot fewer frames and looking more than shooting.

THAT speaks volumes as to why I've really been digging your work lately. On top of getting better quality images, I bet your post time is way down too. Win/Win.

Nice!
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2012
    Thanks Bryce. Aside from regular beatings on here, the shoots for two actual commercial companies kind of forced me to be more serious. I will say that between the Sekonic and the Gray card, I can do WB on 30 frames in about 30 secs and my exposures SOOC have been a lot closer. I also am using a lot of the lessons learned about directional light in the studio last winter. It appears to have worked because Paradise bikini asked me to do the Dia los Muertos shoot after they saw Aennas' bikini shoot.

In fact, just bought two 300 ws mono lights and softboxes for this winter so you can imagine the opportunities to screw up.
    In order of appearance will be Aenna, Ann Marie and, of course, Cyndi. Should start in November so wish me (and them) a lot of luck.
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2012
    the outfit in 2 & 3 cries for more attention than her but the exposures are fantastic. Also for a pro model she needs some root work. How are clothes and make-up selections made? this is where you might need to put your foot down and do the choosing. #5 is just outright Deadly!! Congrats.

Look at how thin the contrast is in 1-2-3-4-8 compared to 5-6-7. The choice of proper color for the surroundings and cropping out of too much skin to compete with the face makes a huge difference.

Have you done any eye work on these yet.......she does have great eyes but you can add more pop.

Big time congrats on the bikini shoot coming up. Would love to sit in the bkg and watch.
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2012
    Hackbone wrote: »
    the outfit in 2 & 3 cries for more attention than her but the exposures are fantastic. Also for a pro model she needs some root work. How are clothes and make-up selections made? this is where you might need to put your foot down and do the choosing. #5 is just outright Deadly!! Congrats.

Look at how thin the contrast is in 1-2-3-4-8 compared to 5-6-7. The choice of proper color for the surroundings and cropping out of too much skin to compete with the face makes a huge difference.

Have you done any eye work on these yet.......she does have great eyes but you can add more pop.

Big time congrats on the bikini shoot coming up. Would love to sit in the bkg and watch.

NO HEAVY LIFTING for you Mister!
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2012
    Bryce, you don't know how long it took me to type that and how many typos.......got most of them.........Gosh I love drugs.
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2012
    Hack,

You're three days late. The bikini shoot was last month (Aenna in Paradise) and the graveyard bikini shoot is already posted Los Dias de los Muertos.

I really didn't do much post at all on these. Just WB crop and sharpen so no, I haven't done eye work yet. She really looks like that. I'm concentrating a lot more on getting it right SOOC lately.

Also, she's not a pro model. Hair, styling and makeup are all hers. I don't mind that since I contact a model for her face, hair and eyes. They can wear a trash bag and I'm OK with it.mwink.gif
  • Options
    novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2012
    These are stellar, jaw dropping good. Like Hack said, deadly lol. I looked thru the port, do not tell me, she road that bike to the shoot lol! Which lens did you use on these? I thought I saw another L in you're list? Once you get famous, don't forget us lol.
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2012
    Thanks Novice. I'll send the check tomorrow?rolleyes1.gif

I used the 24-105, the 70-200 f4 and the headshots are the 50 mm f1.4 for this shoot. The motorcycle frames are the 24-105 and no, she didn't ride it there. We borrowed it from a guy who really didn't seem to object.mwink.gif
  • Options
    novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2012
    Lol, Steve. I'll buy a lens or something lmao. JKing. Those L's are nice, and it shows, but that little 50 is a nice surprise. I have the cheaper little brother, 1.8, and am having issues with it letting too much light in at times. But it's a fantastic low light lens. A single candle burning will work for it, it eats up overcast days. Lol, I saw that bike and thought wow, hot, uh, no way lol. I would say this set is probably one of the best you have done to date imo. Great when all the elements come together. bowdown.gif
  • Options
    YaflyyadieYaflyyadie Registered Users Posts: 558 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2012
    Short comment:

1,2,3,4,5,7,8. Great.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    6.- Non amo il numero 6. (Perhaps monochrome?).
    Colors and composition are very good, and she is such a beautiful girl.

One and Eight for me,HOMERUN, your two best ones. (Just my personal opinion).iloveyou.gif
    Carlos
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2012
    Thanks Carlos.

Everything on here is pretty much personal opinion. # 8 is one of my own favorites of everything I'l shot in three years.
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2012
    You did a good job. Bummer about all the green reflecting off her skin in 3. Is it relevant to critique the model herself? 2 isn't helping her cause - bad case of man arm. I can see that she's very pretty in person, but for some reason I'm just not getting a rise in my Levis from these pictures. I can't tell if that's because of you or her. In the other thread where she's hiking up her skirt I'm just like, sweetie, don't, just put it back down. shrug.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2012
    I can see that she's very pretty in person, but for some reason I'm just not getting a rise in my Levis from these pictures. I can't tell if that's because of you or her. shrug.

Maybe neither, maybe it's you.mwink.gif

In any event, thanks for the comments.