Computer Setup; another setup I'm looking at.

Comments

• ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2005
    Xandros OS seems to be the only Linux version I can find that will run window programs I.E. Photoshop CS2, Microsoft Office, etc.

I am a big Linux proponent... but if you're going to run Windows apps, spend the extra $150 and get XP Pro. (Maybe you stated a reason at some other time).

Other than that, your system looks pretty good. Personally, I would go with an Athlon Dual-Core chip instead of the Intel (speed and power consumption have been shown to be a little better), with a comparable MB. Nothing wrong with Intel though.
    Chris
  • blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2005
    95Mcaj wrote:
    I am a big Linux proponent... but if you're going to run Windows apps, spend the extra $150 and get XP Pro. (Maybe you stated a reason at some other time).

Other than that, your system looks pretty good. Personally, I would go with an Athlon Dual-Core chip instead of the Intel (speed and power consumption have been shown to be a little better), with a comparable MB. Nothing wrong with Intel though.
    Only Window app I plan on running is PSCS2, the rest can be used with open source stuff. Linux has proved to be a more stable OS then windows anyways
    edited November 21, 2005
    Only Window app I plan on running is PSCS2, the rest can be used with open source stuff. Linux has proved to be a more stable OS then windows anyways
    Ahh okay... still, you're going to be taking a pretty big performance hit on a very hardware-demanding piece of software.

If you can live with that, then you're fine. In my experience, linux is definitely more stable. The only reason I reboot my linux server is to upgrade the kernel with security fixes.
    Chris
    edited November 21, 2005
    95Mcaj wrote:
    Ahh okay... still, you're going to be taking a pretty big performance hit on a very hardware-demanding piece of software.

If you can live with that, then you're fine. In my experience, linux is definitely more stable. The only reason I reboot my linux server is to upgrade the kernel with security fixes.
    How do you figure I will be taking a huge hit with hardware-demanding software?
    edited November 21, 2005
    After going back and re-working the system I cam out about $70 cheaper going with a different video card and CPU/Mobo. I'll post the specs of the new system;

• AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Toledo 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core Processor
    • ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard
    • 4 x CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Unbuffered System Memory (Total of 4 gigs)
    • SAMSUNG SpinPoint P80SD HD040GJ 40GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive (for the OS only)
    • 2 x Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive (Going to do a Raid config)
    • NZXT Lexa Black/ Silver Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500 WATT PS2 ATX 12V 2.0 Power Supply
    • ATI Radeon X1800XL 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card
    • Logitech Internet Pro 967450-0403 Black PS/2 Wired Standard Keyboard
    • Logitech G5 Laser 931376-0403 2-Tone 6 Buttons 1x Wheel USB Laser Mouse
    • Microsoft Windows XP Professional With Service Pack 2
    • Adobe PhotoShop CS 2 V9.0 for Windows
    • 2 x 21" Gateway HDTV LCD Monitors
    Total - $4028.51
    edited November 22, 2005
    How do you figure I will be taking a huge hit with hardware-demanding software?
    I don't think WINE supports CS2 yet. So the only way to run it would be through an emulator.

FYI, I like the Athlon setup!
    Chris
    edited November 22, 2005
    95Mcaj wrote:
    I don't think WINE supports CS2 yet. So the only way to run it would be through an emulator.

FYI, I like the Athlon setup!
    Thanks for explaining that. I may go with a dual-boot setup to mess around with Linux.