Canon 1DX Firmware Update V1.1.1

kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
edited November 14, 2012 in Cameras
Autofocus at F/8!!! :clap

This is really huge news for serious wildlife shooters. I've complained bitterly in the past in this forum about the lack of F/8 on the 1DX being a huge step backwards for the 1D series. But all that changes today. :deal:barb

Apparently the other thing they added was "AF point illumination during AI Servo AF". Interesting, because the 7D already supports that. On the other hand, it's a lot more interesting with 61 focus points. :nod

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited October 18, 2012
    kdog wrote: »
    Autofocus at F/8!!! clap.gif

Awesome. thumb.gif

USA link to firmware

Look under Drivers and Software, then select your OS and choose the newest firmware file.

Also this more direct link to the features page with a link to the firmware:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/EOS1DX_firmware
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited October 18, 2012
    Done, and done. Thanks for the heads up!!

Updating the file in the camera seems to go slower than many firmware updates I have done.

I thought it might have stalled at 23%, but then after several minutes - 3-7 maybe - it jumped to 37% and proceeded uneventfully.

Version 1.1.1 now in operation!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited October 18, 2012
    Nice to know that Canon is listening to its customers. Us 5D3 users are hoping for similar functionality in the next firmware update for our cams, since the internals are essentially the same. We might have to wait a while since the last update wasn't long ago.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited October 18, 2012
    I'm waiting to see about that too, David, and also to see if the official numbers from DxoMarks are as good as rumored before I decide what my next camera will be.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
  • billythekbillythek Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2012
    kdog wrote: »
    I'm waiting to see about that too, David, and also to see if the official numbers from DxoMarks are as good as rumored before I decide what my next camera will be.

Why would you even care how Dxo scores this camera? The camera is no different, either way, and there are already plenty of objective reviews.

Dxo seems to have priorities much different than mine. I've never put much stock in their scores. BTW, I doubt very much that the high scores predicted on some rumor sites come true.
    - Bill
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited October 20, 2012
    billythek wrote: »
    Why would you even care how Dxo scores this camera? The camera is no different, either way, and there are already plenty of objective reviews.

Dxo seems to have priorities much different than mine. I've never put much stock in their scores. BTW, I doubt very much that the high scores predicted on some rumor sites come true.

Reviews are nice, but I like empirical data as well. And personally, after seeing a strong correlation between what Dxo reports and what credible real world comparisons show over the last few generations of Canon and Nikon bodies, I do put stock in their numbers. If the 1DX sensor turns out to be closer to the 5DMKIII (and MKII for that matter) than it is to the D800, then it would be tough for me to justify spending twice the bucks for it. Heck, maybe I should switch to Nikon. The 1DX is almost three times the price of a D800. :yikes Is it worth it?

Anyway, we all have our own decision tree that guides us in selecting photo gear. You have your criteria, I have mine.
  • Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2012
  • JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2012
    I need to call CPS tomorrow. I've been shooting tethered with a 1Dx to my laptop now for about 3 weeks. After I installed the 1.1.1 update it seems like they changed something in the networking that makes the camera not function like it did before... and it's really annoying at this point. Almost to the point I want to get my hands on the old firmware to see if it's just me or they did screw with something. This is of course, wired, not wireless, using FTP to transfer files on the fly to my laptop.