Still life question

JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,885 Major grins
edited October 28, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
Can this be considered still life? Or does still life means indoors?

DSC3423-XL.jpg

Comments

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited October 19, 2012
    1. portrayal of something inanimate: a representation of inanimate objects such as fruit, flowers, or food, often in a domestic setting, in paintings, pictures, or photographs ( hyphenated before a noun ) "a still-life class"

2. style of still life portrayals: the style or genre of still life in paintings, pictures, or photographs

Although the subject is not as important as the set up and lighting required to give feeling of a mood. The "still" aspect would be lost on your image here as it is a floating leaf which would indicate that there is movement.
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,885 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2012
    JAG wrote: »
    1. portrayal of something inanimate: a representation of inanimate objects such as fruit, flowers, or food, often in a domestic setting, in paintings, pictures, or photographs ( hyphenated before a noun ) "a still-life class"

2. style of still life portrayals: the style or genre of still life in paintings, pictures, or photographs

Although the subject is not as important as the set up and lighting required to give feeling of a mood. The "still" aspect would be lost on your image here as it is a floating leaf which would indicate that there is movement.

OK thanks!
  • marionetmarionet Registered Users Posts: 382 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2012
    Um, I think that's kind of a curious question. The answer might depend on the answerer's interpretation. I understand JAG's take on it, but commercial pour and splash shots without people, and those with apparent steam rising from food, are considered still life. I think if you wanted to enter a competition, this would be acceptable in still life category. I'm, personally, kind of strict about still life so I would put it into Nature category because the lighting and composition seem to be kind of random so to my mind, as far as still life goes, it actually isn't.
  • marantophotographymarantophotography Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited October 20, 2012
    That's a great photo that I really think you should enter in a nature competition.
  • SciurusNigerSciurusNiger Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2012
    Agree that altho the leaf is still, it is predominently a nature shot. Needs more of an offset cropping to make it a standout.

PJ.
    Garnered Images Photography

"Where beauty moves and wit delights and signs of kindness bind me; there, oh there, whe'er I go I leave my heart behind me." (Thomas Ford, 1607)
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,885 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2012
    Thanks guys, I'll wait for a nature challenge...
  • sweetharmonysweetharmony Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2012
    I agree that it's not what I would call a classic still-life. Beautiful shot, though....