More practice shots - light and leaves (C&C)

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited October 24, 2012 in People
C&C always welcome!

Cajoled Mini-D into some more pix today - I typically do some of her in the autumn, so leaned on her to let me play in the leaves a little bit. Unfortunately, the location we've used for the last 5 years - her old elementary school - is actually putting an addition on and the site is closed, so we had to migrate elsewhere. We had pretty light but it was in-and-out behind clouds so we didn't get as many as I'd have liked before the sun was too low behind the trees for me, but at least we got some!

I'm still finding the jump to 5dII challenging; it's not a particular problem, just that the way it behaves is so different to me from the 7d that I still feel like I'm finding my way around things. I have a shoot on Tuesday and another (marathon) on Sunday, so I really needed to get some practice in!

In any case....

(btw, are these skin tones any better? Still shooting in amongst GREEN which is always death to skin, but tried to counter it with warmer WB's)

1. Bryce, this one's for you :D (see? I CAN take a "traditional" shot :rofl)

i-D9qct6f-L.jpg

2. Yeah, this one is probably only "ok", but I like the comp and am definitely enjoying the 135L on this body (although I'm enjoying the 70-200 F4 nearly as much!)
i-sGdVvFB-L.jpg

3. A (mediocre!) attempt at playing with some backlighting and flare. Kinda sorta like it; still haven't managed to nail this style as well as I'd like (and I won't admit how many tossers there were :cry), but hopefully with more practice it will improve....

i-sJmwfFf-L.jpg

4. This is just SOOOOO her :lust

i-rhzCSGQ-L.jpg

5. Just some fun (and I admit it - I do love this one :)

i-Vsvxjdk-L.jpg

Comments

• novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2012
    These are really nice. Love the fall colors. Seems things are coming together on the new equipment :)
  • YaflyyadieYaflyyadie Registered Users Posts: 558 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2012
    divamum:
    If I were to pick one, # 4 is the winner.clap.gif
    I am inclined to add one slight critique, which is: On top right of the hat, there is a blurred tree trunk or branch that takes a little from the total beauty of the yellow/gold natural background.
    I say that, because it is very easy to criticise others work forgetting our own equal mistakes, so, please, do not take me wrong.!!!!!!!!!.
    Perhaps clone it and make it dissapear?, or fill that area with the same yellowish/gold beautiful tones?
    Maybe you'll like it the way it is, I do too, very much, as stated at the start of my lines, but still wonder, will it make a difference? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
    Respectfully,
    Carlos

• wave01wave01 Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2012
    1,3 and 4 are my pick. just like the composition . 2 and 5 not keen on the background i seem to be drawn away from the subject which is a shame.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2012
    Thanks boys!

Carlos, agreed - with trees like that it's tricky to frame so there's never one "growing out of a head". This one didn't bother me too much, but it's easily cloned out; I toyed with getting rid of the bright spot over her shoulder as well (which actually bothered me more). thumb.gif

The leaves were GORGEOUS yesterday - I reckon by next weekend they'll most be on the ground, so was glad we squeezed this shoot into a busy day so I have my "mom shot" for the year iloveyou.gif Sadly, I got caught in bad traffic on my way to meet her (she has a theatre class on Sat afternoons) so we lost about 20 minutes of the prettiest light of the day. Ah well - at least we got some! There are some more keepers from the session, these were just the first ones I picked out of the lineup. I may add some more if I get a chance to work on them again.

Most importantly, I feel like I'm finally starting to know what to expect from the 5dII. It doesn't do anything "wrong" as such, it just handles light, focus - everything, in fact - differently than I'm used to. I still find it interesting that even though the AF is undeniable slower than the 7dII, I do find it more accurate, so it's not a problem.... just taking some getting used to :)
  • Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2012
    Imagine that, I really like number one. Wow, you even used f4! That 135 is spectacular on that body. I would like to see it cropped a bunch tighter though.

Like the scene and some of the pose of number two except that her hands and arms look stiff. If you used that exact scene with a bit more of a relaxed pose it would be a real winner.

Five is also a favorite. It looks so spontaneous and real. The light is really cool too!
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2012
    4 is killer
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2012
    Thanks everybody! Was fun. Very glad I took them when I did since most of the leaves fell off the trees yesterday and today - if I'd waited a week I wouldn't have got anything!

Bryce, I do have a tighter crop, but I shot it wide and it looked a bit crumbly when I took it down a lot. I must admit, I'm kind of missing my 7d's crazy pixel-density. Am I going to become one of those annoying people who's all over a 40mp+ FF camera when it appears?! rolleyes1.gif