Question about Eagles & Osepreys

Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
edited November 11, 2012 in Wildlife
A couple weeks ago I was at one of our parks early for a birthday party, and was taking some shots of the folige and something caught my eye. There was an area off to the side of a baseball field that looked out of place so I zoomed in the best I could from where I was at and grabbed a quick shot, not thinking much about it. After the birthday party I went home and imported all the photos into the computer and opened the one that caught my eye, and cropped it heavely to get a closer look, and seemed like a head of a near adult eagle or an oseprey. I couldn't tell for sure because it was pixelated real bad from the extreme crop. I made a 4x6 print of it and showed it to a guy at work and he thought it was an oseprey. Several days later he told me that he was out for a ride on the bike and witnessed 2 eagles swooping down on an oseprey and eventually one of the eagles nabbed it and killed it, and flew around for a bit and then dropped it into the river and flew off. Is this normal behavior? I hope it wasn't the one I spotted in the nest as I had planned to go back when I get the new lens and try and get a better photo of it.

GaryB
GaryB
“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams

Comments

• jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,009 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2012
    They may kill young osprey but rare ,they will chase and take away fish from osprey all the time .Even young eagles will steal fish from osprey . We watched 2 juvenal eagles in L. A. for 2 weeks no one saw them fish on their own ,they only stole fish --it is Calif so they may have been demo's .
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • GaleGale Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2012
    At the Space center area in fla there are so many ospreys, that they will kill the young of other nests..
    yes they both steal from each other as Mike said..
    Best Regards
    Gale

www.pbase.com/techwish
  • NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2012
    Eagles are pretty ruthless, even with each other. They will definately steal a meal rather than catch it whenever possible. Even with a stream full of salmon they will often chase another eagle to take its fish rather that simply grab another one out of the stream. Another thing is that eagles mate for life and the mated pair often work together. That could explain why you saw two together.
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...