Options

Backblaze not actually unlimited!

nevsfnevsf Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited October 22, 2012 in Digital Darkroom
I have about 1.5 TB of data on Backblaze, about 1 TB of which are images. For the past month I've been getting an error about my fileids.dat file being too large. It's about 1 GB, and I think is the file that contains tracking information on what's backed up.

According to Backblaze, this happens if you have a lot of files, and the files have long names... in other words, there *is* a limit to the number of files. True, it depends on the length of the file name, but there is a limit.

Their suggestion is to rename my files, all 500K of them. Thanks for that!

Also according to the tech who's been helping me, there's no ETA for a fix.

I feel cheated. After uploading all my data for weeks and weeks, and spending weeks trying to debug the issue, I'm told there's a backup limit. Pretty sleazy to claim unlimited backup when it isn't...

Anyone else have this problem?

Guess I'll ask for my money back and start using external hard drives that I take to work...

Grrrrr!

Comments

• Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2012
    There are cloud alternatives to Backblaze, though I think it is the least expensive. crashplan.com, spideroak.com, cloudberrylab.com, mozy.com, carbonite.com and even some AV vendors are offering cloud backup, like norton.com.

Carting a hard drive to work is better then nothing, but not very convenient and not very reliable either unless you make sure you periodically check it.

I have run into the "too many files" problem before, but that was on a hard disk and happened, oh, over 30 years ago :D

nevsf wrote: »
    I feel cheated. After uploading all my data for weeks and weeks, and spending weeks trying to debug the issue, I'm told there's a backup limit. Pretty sleazy to claim unlimited backup when it isn't...

Anyone else have this problem?

Guess I'll ask for my money back and start using external hard drives that I take to work...

Grrrrr!