Halloween Costumes with new speedlight

PhilD41PhilD41 Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
edited October 25, 2012 in People
I finally talked myself into buying a speedlight. Photography is strictly a hobby for me and I often find myself with must less time to devote to it as I would like. I have spent a few years now avoiding using the popup flash at all cost. I decided that this was probably holding by my photography more than anything so I went shopping.

These are my three girls ( my son was not up for the shoot ) in their Halloween costumes. They were already playing in them so I though I would just jump in. They were gracious enough to let me take about three shots each before the were off to play again. The shots were taken with the flash on board and bounce off the ceiling / wall. I was quite happy with the outcome although I missed the eyes on Grace (#3). Like I said, I am just starting out and have be very pleasantly surprised how this flash has opened up options for indoors photographs. Next on my list... a few stands and umbrellas... maybe even a second flash. :)

I am always looking to improve so feel free to critique as you see fit.
#1 - The Asian Princess
8111207730_4aff7567db_z.jpg

#2 - The Frog Princess (we adapted the story)
8111203411_92d6d3d00e_z.jpg

#3 - The Traditional Fairy Tale
8111208796_e4111715a8_z.jpg
-~= Philip =~-
Go Shoot Something Already! - Flickr Photostream
Have you performed a few Random Acts of Parenting today? :)

Comments

• VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2012
    awwww these are all GREAT!! Congrats, you did good :)
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2012
    Very cool. I was talking about this with the wife last night, hoping to see tons of costumes and scenarios. I have two flashes, one speedlight, and an optical slave, basic starter setup. I learned early on, it's way easy to over power close subjects. Do I use the popup? Yep, for close up work, if nothing else, to get that catch light in. For an off camera flash, I have even resorted to taking a sheet of photo paper and put it on the speedlight mini softbox to knock it down some, don't laugh, it works, and quite well. I couldn't get enough stops of power down, to get what I wanted. Don't be afraid to improvise.
  • Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2012
    Nice debut with the speedlight. That addition will open a whole new world for you.
  • PhilD41PhilD41 Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2012
    VayCayMom wrote: »
    awwww these are all GREAT!! Congrats, you did good :)
    Thanks VayCay... These are some of my better. I am definitely improving with if fun.
    Very cool. I was talking about this with the wife last night, hoping to see tons of costumes and scenarios. I have two flashes, one speedlight, and an optical slave, basic starter setup. I learned early on, it's way easy to over power close subjects. Do I use the popup? Yep, for close up work, if nothing else, to get that catch light in. For an off camera flash, I have even resorted to taking a sheet of photo paper and put it on the speedlight mini softbox to knock it down some, don't laugh, it works, and quite well. I couldn't get enough stops of power down, to get what I wanted. Don't be afraid to improvise.
    I am happy to oblige with the costumes. I still need to take some photos with my son in his, but he is not wanting to. I am also hoping to get a set of stands and a second speedlight for Christmas. We will have to wait and see. I would love to move into more portrait / studio shooting. I am always amazed at the photos I see on here and get excited think I might someday produce something similar.

Nice debut with the speedlight. That addition will open a whole new world for you.
    Thanks Bryce, that was the hope. So far it hasn't disappointed!

Of a different note, I am a Linux guy, which presents is own set of limitations when it comes to photography. One of these is calibrating monitors. For this and other reasons, mine is not. I noticed that the colors looked over saturated on my work computer (similar IPS monitor also not calibrated). They look fine at home. I guess I am curious if the colors look okay from those it better display hardware. :)

Thanks again!
    -~= Philip =~-
    Go Shoot Something Already! - Flickr Photostream
    Have you performed a few Random Acts of Parenting today? :)
  • novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2012
    I am happy to oblige with the costumes. I still need to take some photos with my son in his, but he is not wanting to. I am also hoping to get a set of stands and a second speedlight for Christmas. We will have to wait and see. I would love to move into more portrait / studio shooting. I am always amazed at the photos I see on here and get excited think I might someday produce something similar.

Hopefully Santa will grant that request :) The stands are on my wish list also. With maybe some decent sofboxes on them also. I thought there would probably be some nice sales closer to Christmas. Shhhh, don't tell the wife ;/