PJ: SoJo Marathon

RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
edited October 22, 2012 in Street and Documentary
Some features from the 2012 SoJo Marathon held in South Jordan, Utah.

IMG6390-L.jpg

IMG6331-L.jpg

IMG6597-L.jpg

IMG6281-L.jpg
Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
Website | Galleries | Utah PJs

Comments

• seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2012
    These are nice. I usually shy away from super wide shots but they work well here. Good angles, good framing, good thinking. 90 percent of okay shots could be improved by just bending your knees a bit, and/or getting closer (or farther away for negative space). Obviously you get that. Good solid work here.

First frame: Good low angle, the church in the background really makes it.
    Second: Super low angle. Smart.
    Third: Love this. Straightforward storytelling shot. Interesting. Excellent framing with respect to all elements including people in the background. I would have staked this out for a bit getting different runners, trying different framing (like just the hand and sprayer close in the foreground), etc., which you may have done.
    Fourth: Low angle, excellent use of light and shadow, good timing with separation between the people, and the car is well placed between adding a third layer.

All of these are much better than they would have been if you had just stood in place and taken a snapshot. Shows you are really working the scenes and thinking.
  • stphotographystphotography Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2012
    Nice set, I like ## 2, 3 and 4.
  • RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2012
    Thanks guys. Every time I do one of these things I feel I improve. It is funny, people assume you are one of the paid portrait photographers instead of someone with another intent. They are constantly making goofy faces and poses at you expecting to be able to purchase prints of their shenanigans at the photographer's website after the race. I have 100 duck faces, 10 tongues sticking out, 5 "rock on" signs, and one of these:

i-sVZp4dV-L.jpg
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
    Website | Galleries | Utah PJs