What do you do with your photos?

racerracer Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
edited October 29, 2012 in Wildlife
I am sitting here in Shenandoah NP thinking, what are these wildlife photographers doing with there photos.

Sure we share them online, but what else do you do with them?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
Todd - My Photos

Comments

• HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2012
    Print them, make a book, some of my images were recently used for a coloring book, use them to raise funds for environmental groups, luggage tags, coffee mugs, etc.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • JohnDCJohnDC Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2012
    First of all, I photograph for the fun of it. I like being in nature, and I like the challenge of capturing images of what I find there. For me photography combines the enjoyable parts of meditation, collection, sport, art, science, etc. I spend a lot of time and pixels pushing the envelope to try new techniques. But I also forward my photos to good causes that might find the images useful. For example, conservation groups like photos that they can use on their websites, brochures, and talks. Researchers like photos of hard-to-observe phenomena, band numbers, and illustrations they can use in their talks and publications. And so on.... When an image also contributes to a useful purpose, it increases my enjoyment of the photography, but it is not an end by itself.
  • SciurusNigerSciurusNiger Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2012
    I've put out an annual calendar for quite a few years now as a fundraiser for my non-profit wildlife rehabilitation organization and we also sell prints on various products. I also use them when teaching rehab or when speaking about wildlife; others have used them for similar purposes as well.

PJ.
    Garnered Images Photography

"Where beauty moves and wit delights and signs of kindness bind me; there, oh there, whe'er I go I leave my heart behind me." (Thomas Ford, 1607)
  • PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2012
    I make 20 prints of the best ones and give them to my granddaughter, who passes them out to her classmates in Pre-K. Last year I caught a Brown Pelican in flight, and all the 5-year-olds positively identified it as a Pterodactyl, one of those prehistoric birds with a 40-foot wingspan. You never know! Also recently made a DVD slideshow set to music that turned out well. We try to make post cards, books, and now the slideshow available to visitors on Avery Island, as it is hard for anyone to get great photos when you are just here for a short time with a point and shoot camera in a place with high contrast lighting situations. Best, Pam
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,009 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2012
    Like those above my wildlife photos are not easy $$ makers .My photos from 2 spots are given each year for donation and calendars are made and sold to support the foundations .Some are used for school education and bird watching . You need to love what you do and learn by time and experience . Oh yea and the time walking around outside is wings.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • racerracer Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2012
    I do enjoy just being out with the wildlife, the whole experience. I am at the point I am traveling longer distances to get better shots, more shots. I have been to/threw 20 states this year on photography trips, and have only managed to process 1/8 of the photos out of not being motivated, since I am not really doing much with my photos. I have been wondering if it is worth it if I am really not doing much with the photos.

Some great and creative ideas and advice!
    Todd - My Photos
  • Randy LawsonRandy Lawson Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited October 29, 2012
    How is the park, have you been seeing those tagged deer being used for the cwd study? If I was at Big Meadows I would not think of others on what they would use their pictures for, I be clicking away at a nice 10pt.rolleyes1.gifrofl
    Randy
  • racerracer Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2012
    How is the park, have you been seeing those tagged deer being used for the cwd study? If I was at Big Meadows I would not think of others on what they would use their pictures for, I be clicking away at a nice 10pt.rolleyes1.gifrofl

Yes, that is part of the reason I went, to document the tagged deer. It is rather sad, as the large number plates prevent the deer from turning there head to the side (many have documented this). I have been complaining about it on there facebook (obvious we dont matter to them, money is what counts), going to make a blog post about it today.
    Anyway, I got some shots of a 9pt with a collar, and spent some time with one of my favorite 8pt, that did not have a collar (yet).
    It is there goal to collar all the largest bucks, prevent these deer from rutting. The effect we see will be that it ruins deer photography in Shennadoah for the next 10 plus years (yes it really is this bad!). There are already numerous famous bucks that went missing! If you have not yet went, now is the time to go (if you can find a buck that has not been tampered with)
    Todd - My Photos
  • JohnDCJohnDC Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2012
    racer wrote: »
    I do enjoy just being out with the wildlife, the whole experience. I am at the point I am traveling longer distances to get better shots, more shots. I have been to/threw 20 states this year on photography trips, and have only managed to process 1/8 of the photos out of not being motivated, since I am not really doing much with my photos. I have been wondering if it is worth it if I am really not doing much with the photos.

Some great and creative ideas and advice!

Nature photography is a great excuse to go out and enjoy the outdoors, product or no product. The process is a worthwhile end in itself. Having the camera is just a motivator to look closer at things you might skip otherwise. There's nothing wrong with not having some PSed photos at the end. Don't let our Puritanical roots guilt trip the experience. Treat it like catch-and-release fly fishing, except the catch is there on your memory card if you want to pull it up later. The main thing is that you have the experience. But if bad winter weather pins you down at home later this year, you can go through those images and pick out the special ones to relive the experiences and even share with the rest of us. Or go to Florida and Bosque and take more photos....