Options

The shutter closes for the last time

mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
edited October 25, 2012 in Mind Your Own Business
I've decided to close down Mercury Photography at the end of November. i was finally released from the nuerologist today, but honestly still not in shape to do any serious track photography. I've considered statics instead, private client work, but really can't just get excited about that. Really doesn't hurt too much that 2010, my last active year, was financially a wash after taxes and expenses were properly accounted for. Lots of work for literally no profit. And way too much work to consider it a hobby done for the fun of it.

I'll keep lurking the boards of course, don't worry. :)

Sincerely
Bill Jurasz
MercPhoto.ExposureManager.com
Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
A former sports shooter
Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2012
    Bill,

I am sorry to hear about your issues and hope things improve for you. Please continue to hang out. You can photography vicariously through all of us. :D

Sam
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2012
    So sorry to hear this Bill...Best of Luck in the future.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2012
    I'm sorry to hear you're not as well as you'd like but not that you are giving away the photography work. It can be a hard thing these days and so often the input in no way justifies the returns. When it get's like that it's depressing and there is little regard and satisfaction in it. You mentioned in your PM the other day you are plenty busy with your day job so if you are not getting financial reward from your photography,q you are far better to give it away and get some reward from it doing what you want to do without the effort, frustrations and demands of doing it for a business.

I'm planning a shoot with a model friend tomorrow just for the fun of a creative outlet I can put some artistic effort into rather than just the bread and butter hammering away that earns me $$. There is a world of difference between photography done for the enjoyment of it and done for work even if you do like the work.

The other thing is when you feel up to it you can always go back to what you have done or something new. It seems I have got about a 7 year itch with photography and say to hell with it and then go get a regular job for up to 12 months but then I get a reality check as well as a fresh perspective and I'm back into it with more enthuasiam and drive than ever before. When the pressure is off, you may well see something you haven't thought of before, get into that and wondered why you didn't get into it years ago. That's where I am now.

I know from long experience that trying to do something when your health is not what it should be and dealing with the drag of that alone is bloody hard. You really are better off taking a clean break, relaxing and then seeing how things go from there. You can go back to it when you're up to it or not at all. Dosen't matter, you'll know which way you want to go and what is best.
    You can also go to the track at any time and catch up with friends and people you have got to know and enjoy the social side a lot more without a camera to pack around.

If not, you can still shoot for the pure pleasure and fun of it and that my friend is when Photography is the best.
  • Options
    AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2012
    All the very best Bill. I have always respected your input - very knowledgeable and accommodating. I hope you can get some real pleasure out of your photography - now that you can shoot what you want and when you want and for however long you want.
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited October 23, 2012
    Very sorry to hear the news. And I wish you all the best Bill.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2012
    Sorry to hear about your health and withdrawal from track photography. I was always impressed by your ideas and designs.

I hope a mend is in the near future for you.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2012
    Thanks everyone. The good news is nothing keeps me from daily life, or from work. And, thankfully I love the day job too. So for now its just photography on a limited basis AND FOR FUN! I might have two or three private client cars by early 2013 to share with (all are friends, but they have some cool cars).
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2012
    Just wanted to say good luck, keep on shooting whenever you can, and I hope your health improves!